Bidding help

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueheels2

Occupation
Electrical contractor
So I just started a business. I have a Macbook Pro. First job is 4500 sq ft custom home with many upgrades going on and it's all mine. Property manager approached me last night about wiring 2 restaurants and a couple of other spaces as well. What is a good estimating program that is compatible with Mac? And what's it going to cost me?

Thanks

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
A bidding program is not a magic bullet. If you don't know how to do a bid by hand, you won't know when the bidding program is giving you a crazy number. Crazy too high, lost bid, crazy too low, losing money. You really should do the first six months worth by hand.

JFletcher

Another +1. I don't know your level of experience, however it sounds to me as you're starting off with a custom 4500 square foot house. Even with a bidding program, that is going to be a trial by fire. There usually winds up a ridiculous amount of change orders with a project of that type.

Even bidding on what you have now, any experience you have should be weighed carefully versus a bidding program. in the event that the recommended software is not available on a Mac, you can always buy a $300 notebook from Best Buy that runs on another operating system.

blueheels2

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Thanks guys, I had come to the conclusion I needed to do it the old fashioned way. Thanks for the input

The house is 70 years old and I am addressing numerous issues at a t and m rate. However, I've got to put a price on a new service that I must design based on a new pool, outdoor kitchen, and new HVAC equipment. They have also approached me about pricing some jobs downtown. I was doing nights and weekends but if I get all of the house upgrades I'm quitting my real job and going for it.

Wish me luck!!!! On a positive note it would be difficult to be more poor than I already am.

growler

They have also approached me about pricing some jobs downtown. I was doing nights and weekends but if I get all of the house upgrades I'm quitting my real job and going for it.

Here is where you need to be cautious. It a lot harder getting jobs that you actually make money on than just getting jobs.

It is possible to get more poor than you are right now even if you are broke. :slaphead:

blueheels2

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Here is where you need to be cautious. It a lot harder getting jobs that you actually make money on than just getting jobs.

It is possible to get more poor than you are right now even if you are broke. :slaphead:

Agreed and thanks to this forum and ET I am aware of this issue. Normally I would be running for the hills but this client is doing all of this for the community. I’ve got about 10k billed on they haven’t blinked. Received 1/2 of that already. First bill they paid in 5 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.