TWO EGC UNDER ONE SCREW

Status
Not open for further replies.

domnic

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Two egc under one screw or lug ? what code article. ( 2011 code )

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

408.41 Grounded Conductor Terminations. Each grounded conductor shall terminate within the panelboard in an individual terminal that is not also used for another conductor.

NATIONAL ELECTRICAL CODE 2011 Edition

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
That code reference is for neutrals, not for grounds.

I believe that some older panels were rated to have two equally-sized ground wires under one screw terminal, though I do not have a code reference, or if it has changed throughout the years.

Oops you're correct I thought it said grounded. :ashamed1:

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
Somewhere I saw a listing for 3 #12's , but to be honest in older panels I stuff 'em where ever I can fit 'em.....~RJ~

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
This might be better, it falls back on the listing of the EGC bar:

ry%3D480

jksmith82

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I should have added, that was from an Eaton 200 amp panel.

Happy Thanksgiving

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Here's a related question: If one connects three neutrals (3ph) from adjacent circuits together within the panel because there aren't enough neutral terminals, must the breaker handles still be tied?

By definition you have created MWBC so yes. :)

Wire-Smith

250.8 Connection of Grounding and Bonding Equipment. (A) Permitted Methods.
Equipment grounding conductors, grounding electrode conductors, and bonding jumpers shall be connected by one or more of the following means:
(1) Listed pressure connectors
(2) Terminal bars
(3) Pressure connectors listed as grounding and bonding equipment
(4) Exothermic welding process
(5) Machine screw-type fasteners that engage not less than two threads or are secured with a nut
(6) Thread-forming machine screws that engage not less than two threads in the enclosure
(7) Connections that are part of a listed assembly
(8) Other listed means

110.14(A)Terminals. Connection of conductors to terminal parts shall ensure a thoroughly good connection without damaging the conductors and shall be made by means of pressure connectors (including set-screw type), solder lugs, or splices to flexible leads. Connection by means of wire-binding screws or studs and nuts that have upturned lugs or the equivalent shall be permitted for 10 AWG or smaller conductors. Terminals for more than one conductor and terminals used to connect aluminum shall be so identified.

110.3(B) Installation and Use. Listed or labeled equipment shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions included in the listing or labeling.
(<>)

JFletcher

And I was picturing two bare wires wrapped around a screw in a box or on a device, not wires going into a ground bar in a panel.

Good catch. I forget the code section, though in the case of two egc's wrapped around one ground screw on a switch or receptacle, device is not listed for two wires under the screw, and the device removal also cannot break grounding continuity (found it: 250.148(B))

And excellent post Wire Smith.

Adamjamma

Here's a related question: If one connects three neutrals (3ph) from adjacent circuits together within the panel because there aren't enough neutral terminals, must the breaker handles still be tied?

Hmmm... my head says heck ya... but need to find the code now...

But.. in the case the person is calling for... where the owner wants the three circuits run so he can flip a switch and cut all three off at once, wouldn't that be a great spot for a relay or a sub panel? Run a four breaker sub panel that can be cut off easily by the door, and the three circuits in it... one cable from it back to main panel... its main breaker or switch cuts power to all three breakers. Or is there a safety reason why he wants all three to cut off if any of them cut off? More needs to be known.

Last edited by a moderator:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Hmmm... my head says heck ya... but need to find the code now...

But.. in the case the person is calling for... where the owner wants the three circuits run so he can flip a switch and cut all three off at once, wouldn't that be a great spot for a relay or a sub panel? Run a four breaker sub panel that can be cut off easily by the door, and the three circuits in it... one cable from it back to main panel... its main breaker or switch cuts power to all three breakers. Or is there a safety reason why he wants all three to cut off if any of them cut off? More needs to be known.
This has nothing to do with switching. It's a case where three simple single-phase circuits are added to an existing three-phase panel, but there are not three neutral terminals available, so I joined the three neutrals to a single pigtail to land in one neutral terminal in the panel. Several neutrals are already doubled up.

Normally, a MWBC requires joined breaker handles, so opening a shared neutral won't create an unexpected energized-conductor situation. With the neutrals joined within the panel, it's unlikely that they would ever be separated, and if they were, it would be obvious what was done and which breakers are involved.

Last edited by a moderator:

kwired

Electron manager
And I was picturing two bare wires wrapped around a screw in a box or on a device, not wires going into a ground bar in a panel.
My initial thought when I read OP, then after seeing first couple replies I was going to ask what it the application?

Status
Not open for further replies.