Types of wire permitted for hazardous location

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikoal

In the CEC table 19 only shows TC cable as rated for hazardous locations.
Is there a list somewhere stating what wires are acceptable for the different classes and divisions?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
It isn't a Table, but Section 501.10 describes the wiring methods permitted in Class I locations; 501.10(A) for Division 1 and 501.10(B) for Division 2. Similarly, Sections 502.10 and 503.10 describe wiring methods for Class II and III respectively.

mikoal

It isn't a Table, but Section 501.10 describes the wiring methods permitted in Class I locations; 501.10(A) for Division 1 and 501.10(B) for Division 2. Similarly, Sections 502.10 and 503.10 describe wiring methods for Class II and III respectively.

those are wire methods. Are they not different than type of wires?

I guess the reason why i ask is because i cant find teck90 listed as approved for those areas, however i see on websites allowing ti for hazardous areas

Last edited:

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Type TC is listed in Section 510.10(B)(1)(6) as one acceptable cable type in Division 2.

TECK is not a recognized cable construction in the NEC unless it is also marked as Type MC. Even then, it is not acceptable in Division 1 as it is in the CEC. Use in Division 1 requires additional marking as "MC-HL."

mikoal

Type TC is listed in Section 510.10(B)(1)(6) as one acceptable cable type in Division 2.

TECK is not a recognized cable construction in the NEC unless it is also marked as Type MC. Even then, it is not acceptable in Division 1 as it is in the CEC. Use in Division 1 requires additional marking as "MC-HL."

sorry i gues i forgot to mention i am working from the CEC not the NEC.
I cant find anywhere in the CEC that states it's ok, but sites such as

http://www.electrocables.com/page76.htm
http://www.cable.alcan.com/NR/rdonlyres/62E3EDB0-B54A-4C99-A4A6-04423A4E2F26/0/Teck90_EN.pdf
allows for it..........why is that?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Unfortunately, I don't have a readily available copy of the CEC - my only excuse is this is an NEC site. Possibly one of our other members could assist you.

I am familiar with TECK90 and can confirm the CEC accepted it in Class I, Divisions 1 and 2 some time ago, but I haven't "worked" a Canadian project in about (aboot) 8 years.

mikoal

Unfortunately, I don't have a readily available copy of the CEC - my only excuse is this is an NEC site. Possibly one of our other members could assist you.

I am familiar with TECK90 and can confirm the CEC accepted it in Class I, Divisions 1 and 2 some time ago, but I haven't "worked" a Canadian project in about (aboot) 8 years.

thanks anyways!
i just wanted to get a nice list stating these are ok for class 1 div 1, these are good for class 2 div 2 etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.