Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neutral & ground

Neutral & ground

In NEC do we need to connect the neutral wire with ground inside the same panel ?

Quote Originally Posted by m sleem View Post
    In NEC do we need to connect the neutral wire with ground inside the same panel ?
    Please read Article 250 in its entirety, then if you have a question feel free to ask it with code reference. Without trying to offend, this question seems like an accountant asking an electrical question. I think that is why you have gotten 30 views and no responses.

I know what I don't know, and I know where to go to find it!

The neutral is connected to the grounding conductor(s) at only one location.
    Don, Illinois
    "It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority." B Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by m sleem View Post
    "Appliances and wiring will burn out to protect fuses"

Quote Originally Posted by don_resqcapt19 View Post
    And to do otherwise would allow the EGC to share the neutral current. That's what people just don't understand as a big no no. The integrity of the neutral must be protected maintained even though it is a most commonly the grounded conductor. Just because it is a grounded conductor doesn't mean that you free to reground it again at your will.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
    Those face expressions are not allowed……use these instead:
    Reward the hard worker and drop the buddy buddy slacks!!!

From the below fig. i can understand the neutral is grounded only at the transforemer

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grounding.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	7170

thanks for all..

Attached Images Attached Images  

You might want to look at those diagrams again.

When you talk about the transformer (which probably belongs to the power company) and the service disconnect which belongs to the user you find that you are crossing a boundary. Between the transformer and the service disconnect you cross between the National Electric Safety Code (applies to the power company) and the NEC (applies to everything else).

What the power company does with their neutral in the transformer does not change the requirements of the NEC.

See the articles on service entrances and on grounding.

good luck,

/s/ Jim WIlliams

[Yes I know I'm glossing over some corner cases]

Don, i think NEC is agreed with the TN-S system.......please correct me..!!!
    1.1 TN-S system earthing

A TN-S system, has the neutral of the source of energyconnected with earth at one point only, at or as near as is reasonablypracticable to the source, and the consumer’s earthing terminal is typicallyconnected to the metallic sheath or armour of the distributor’s service cable into the premises.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by m sleem; 07-11-12 at 06:40 PM.