Local Disconnect Exceptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bronco25

The NEC allows for an exception to a local disconnect in the event of written procedures. Any opinion or references regarding what constitutes said written procedures. Must they be machine specific? Are they required to be in place before installation?

pfalcon

Required before installation? No
Required before use? Yes

See 430.75 exceptions for when the local is not used and required stuff.

Considered a bad practice to be used only when conditions absolutely provide no other option.

Bronco25

Code Committe Member Directives

Code Committe Member Directives

I had a conversation with a code committee member yesterday and I was told:
1. 430.102 only applies to rooftop HVAC units.
2. If a company has a lock out tag out policy then exception B applies.
3. Local disconnects are hazardous.

Not exactly what I expected, but now the expert has spoken so I will comply. :jawdrop:

iwire

Staff member

Not exactly what I expected, but now the expert has spoken so I will comply. :jawdrop:

In my opinion he is total mistaken, that may be his opinion about what the text says but I disagree and I am sure many inspectors would disagree as well.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I suggest that the panel member has no idea of what he is talking about.
The (b) subsection of the of the Exception to 430.102(B)(2) only applies in industrial installations. It does not apply anywhere else even if they have a written lockout policy.
How are they hazardous?

You have an opinion from one "expert". That does not mean anything more than you have an opinion. It is no more valid that the opinions you will find on this forum, and in this case the "expert" is just plain wrong.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Section 430.102(B)(2) FPN No.1 lists a few examples:

Some examples of increased or additional hazards include, but are not limited to, motors rated in excess of 100 hp, multimotor equipment, submersible motors, motors associated with adjustable speed drives, and motors located in hazardous (classified) locations
Note HV motors are not mentioned - although they could be. "...motors rated in excess of 100 hp..." and "motors located in hazardous (classified) locations" are the big ones in my opinion. Whether the disconnects should be used as controllers or not, people start pulling any switch they can find.

Bronco25

@Don, I guess i should have included that this is an industrial installation and the expert in question is in a policy making position with the company. What i am now dreading is his expressed intention to come out and "teach" me. I fear I will have a hard time keeping my mouth shut.

Status
Not open for further replies.