smart phones

Status
Not open for further replies.
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I have one of the first Droids. Still ticking and works just fine. As stated the apps are low cost, the highest so far being a Geocache app at about $10 and Documents to Go at ??. PDF files load right up although the bigger ones are not fun to look thru. I haven't tried to link to the laptop yet and haven't figured out how to print directly to my network printers but I believe there is an app for that to if I search long enough.

Downside to all these goodies is battery life. Charge it every night or forget it.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The Droid's have many better features, talk to text is one of them, as well as Swype. Not to mention a lot of customization which is completely lacking in the Apple universe.

satcom

We like the ability to swipe the credit cards on service calls, and e mail the invoice and report on the spot, the I phone is a cpmplete mobile office

Riograndeelectric

next questions is. what do you recommend for manufactures on the Android phone?

I have narrowed my search a Android phone.

I was at the horizon store today played with the Droid phones, HTC incredible Droid. LG Revolution & Droid 2 by Motorola. I liked the Motorola Droid 2.

Occupation
Inspector
I held out as long as I could, last year I got an iPhone and I love it. My son has a Droid and he really likes it.

Sorry I don't have anything to say that would help to make a decision between iPhone or the Droid.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

I was at the horizon store today played with the Droid phones, HTC incredible Droid. LG Revolution & Droid 2 by Motorola. I liked the Motorola Droid 2.

I think that a new Android phone is due to drop this month, the Motorola Droid Bionic. I wouldn't buy a new smart phone that wasn't 4G ready, espeicially if you're stuck with a two year contract.

tkb

I think that a new Android phone is due to drop this month, the Motorola Droid Bionic. I wouldn't buy a new smart phone that wasn't 4G ready, espeicially if you're stuck with a two year contract.

4g is not as widespread as 3g right now.
I don't see a problem using the 3g. The phone is faster than me.

la2151

Iphones

Iphones

wanted to just give another example for the uses of a smart phone. I was at a customers house,He asked me to look at reprograming his sprinkler controller, He did not have the manual for it. I went online and in cple minutes I had the manual online to get job done. I have used it many times to get information about products online. I have a Iphone and ask myself daily how i ever lived with out it. There are others out there that are as good but i just happen to have a Iphone. good luck on your decision. I also use mine to email contractors pictures of info about jobs or site info I may need, great way to keep up on email. thanks.. i so enjoy comming here to learn.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
4g is not as widespread as 3g right now.
I don't see a problem using the 3g. The phone is faster than me.

I agree, my current phone is 3G, but to buy a new 3G phone today and have it locked into a 2 year contract means that your 3G phone could be obsolete in a year. Just my 2 cents. :)

tkb

I agree, my current phone is 3G, but to buy a new 3G phone today and have it locked into a 2 year contract means that your 3G phone could be obsolete in a year. Just my 2 cents. :)

Not really obsolete, just not the latest and greatest.
If you are always worried about not having the newest stuff and hold off, you will drive yourself crazy and never buy anything.

MJW

I had the original droid and loved it. I just "upgraded" to the thunderbolt and like it except the battery life is terrible. I'm lucky to get 6 hours before needing to recharge. I did a software update which helped but I'm still not happy with the battery life. I may have to get a different phone if I can't get the problem resolved.

On another note I use my camera to look inside walls I am fishing. If I am having a problem fishing something I will stick my phone in the cut-in hole and take a picture. Make sure your flash is on and make sure you don't drop your phone.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I am looking into buying my first smart phone. I have been to the Verizon store to look over the different smart phones and get a idea on how they work.I believe it would take me a while to learn how to use the smart phone.

the Question: there is the I phone and the Droid both very similar but both are the same price. wondering if the members would chime in on what phone they use and which is better the Iphone or the Droid.

thank you all for your continued support
Cameron

this one will get more posts..... you have not only opened pandora's box,
you have unpacked it as well....

i like the iphone so much i'm willing to put up with ATT as the provider.
that sums it up in a nutshell.

ATT is cheaper here than verison.... and annoyingly good at dropping calls.

apple products don't do everything, but what they do, they are very good at.

now, the iphone works seamlessly with the ipad... and the ipad is seriously
something that is changing a lot of how we do stuff...

blueprints and job specifications? a pdf file on the ipad is where this stuff
is all going... email, faxes, quotes, damn near everything i need an office
and a computer for, i can do on an ipad... and a ton of things i can't do
in an office.

FLIR's taken their infrared cameras to a WIFI connection with an ipad...

i can do all the electrical calcs i need to off iphone and ipad apps.

job documentation? photos, movies, etc? iphone and ipad.
need to check something on the home computer? there's an app for that.

need to tweet inappropriate pictures and ruin your political career?
there's an app for that, too..

short version: we make our living doing what we do, as a result of
communicating with people. smart phones make that faster and
easier.

i'd go with the iphone, cause it'll integrate with the ipad... and the
stuff just works.

sent from my ipad.... while waiting for a customer, for a job walk...
he's 15 minutes late... just got a text on the phone... be here in
another ten or so.

While 4G networks aren't very widespread yet, a 4G phone works just fine on 3G. As well as 2G and G for that matter. The 4G phone gives you a device that will grow, for lack of a better term.

220/221

My first "smart" phone (Droid something) was very, very stupid. It was old tecnology and very very slow. We had two of this type of phone and it was just poor design.

The replacement (Droid x2 I believe) is awesome. The bigger screen is a huge inprovement.

I started using it because so I could access our work schedule/calender. The internet access is handy as well as the mapping. The camera takes great pics but the HD video is a bit choppy.

All your contacts, email, music, photos, gps, calculators......everything is in your pocket along with an application for pretty much anything.

The internet access is by far the best tool to have. You have a world of information with you almost wherever you go. I don't use it a lot but it can save a lot of time when I do.

~Shado~

They all are good phones....I went with the D2 because in me older years, having a physical keyboard works better since I can feel the keys...but....YMMV:cool:

tkb

The downside of a smart phone of a regular cell phone is the $30 data plan they make you have in addition to your regular plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.