Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Difference Between Li-Ion and Nicad Chargers

Oh and I know that some manufactures will still say to run a battery down before charging, I showed this to a engineer who works for a very large battery company and he cracked up, and said guess they need to sell more batteries, because that is all it is doing, destroying the plates.
    Wayne A. From: N.W.Indiana
    Be Fair, Be Safe
    Just don't be fairly safe

Quote Originally Posted by hurk27 View Post
    All Dewalt chargers that do both have a yellow case, the black case chargers are for Ni-Cad only.

Some pointers in making your batteries have a long life:

The more you cycle the batteries the more it removes material from its plates, so running batteries till they are completely dead is not good for them, and this is a myth that was carried on from the original development of Ni-Cad batteries, NIMH or LI-Ion has never had this memory problem, and all newer Ni-Cads since the late 1980's have also not had this problem but myths carry on.

I still have 2 Ni-Cad 18 volt batteries from my original tool kit I purchased back in 1998 and they still hold a fairly good charge, I contribute this from reading up on batteries and how letting any chargeable battery lay around without a full charge on it will allow the electrolyte dissolve the plates in the battery, this goes for wet cells as well as dry cells, we all know that if you leave a dry cell lay around it will start leaking if it is not fully charged, this is because the case is one of the plates, of course over the years they have sealed the case in plastic so this doesn't happen but under the plastic the plate are still eaten away.

So in essences, using a full sine wave inverter on all my chargers in my van, I make sure every battery I have used goes back on charge even if I drill one hole with it or make one cut with my saw, all dewalt chargers are float type chargers and they will maintain a full charge without over charging.

This is also important for your car batteries, boat, and even generator systems, back a few years ago Generac use to install a trickle charger to maintain the battery in the generator, what the engineer didn't realize was maintenance free batteries were no longer readily available, these trickle charger do not shut off, and are always charging, this causes the battery to loose water and since you could not add water to these batteries would run dry, and in some cases would explode from hydrogen/oxygen build up, I wrote a e-main to one of their engineers who e-mailed me back and said he understood this problem and well we not have float chargers on Generac generators.

Most of my Dewalt batteries are Li-Ion now since they will fit older drills and newer ones, but I still have a few good Ni-Cad's and since the yellow Dewalt chargers charge both, I keep both on the truck, I have then mounted on the floor up front plugged into a strip that is plugged into a 400 watt full sine wave inverter (Dewalt chargers don't like modified sine wave) and if I leave the job site all the batteries are put back into each charger, and at a glance I know which has a full charge for the next job.
    I have 4 dual chargers between my seats and all the dual chargers with the yellow tops charge both. these chargers can be found at Loews with one Ni-Cad battery for about $99.00 when they are on sale.
    Please explain the part in red. Do you have a meter/charge indicator on the chargers?
    If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Quote Originally Posted by Little Bill View Post
    Please explain the part in red. Do you have a meter/charge indicator on the chargers?
    Dwelt chargers have a red light that will tell you if it is chargeing or charged, or if battery is high temp or too cold, and other errors.
    Wayne A. From: N.W.Indiana
    Be Fair, Be Safe
    Just don't be fairly safe

Quote Originally Posted by hurk27 View Post
    Dwelt chargers have a red light that will tell you if it is chargeing or charged, or if battery is high temp or too cold, and other errors.
    The red light! I knew about the red light!
    If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!