Class2 xfmr and LV cord allowed AHC per NEC 400.7?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommy SEA

HI Has anyone had sucess with using a class2 transformer plugged into a receptacle above suspended ceiling with low volt cord connected to a wireless acess point? My point is that there is no cord-plug connection, any thoughts?

HI Has anyone had sucess with using a class2 transformer plugged into a receptacle above suspended ceiling with low volt cord connected to a wireless acess point? My point is that there is no cord-plug connection, any thoughts?

What do you actually mean by the highlighted term "low volt cord"?

It is my experience that Class 2 plugin type transformers are permitted to be plugged into a receptacle above a dropped/suspended ceiling with the proper "cable" used as the wiring method. Chapter 4 is "Flexible cords and cables". Art 725/800 wiring methods do not have to conform to the requirements of 400.8.

Typically this is performed for door buzzers and signaling such as a door bell.

Last edited:

Tommy SEA

Hi Pierre i did not highlight the lv part. i am looking at 725 to better understand if the class2 lv xfmr with secondard lv cord to Wireless router AHC is allowed AHC.

Tommy SEA

As i read thru 725.2 Class 2 circuit it leads me to 725.3(C) them 725.15 to 725.52(B) which points to 725.54, 725.61. It looks like type CL2P or CL3P may be permitted?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Your install is fine since there is no cord involved, and as long as the type of class 2 conductors used are permitted above the ceiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.