Thread: Residential Light Switching Req.

Residential Light Switching Req.

I found one section of the NEC which seemed to state a light at entry and exits yet, in my understanding there may be a possiblity to do away with a couple three way and four way switches. Many doors open in a small area short distances, perhaps two steps. The owner want to do away with as many switches, etc as posssible. Is there a section of the NEC that clarifies this requirement am missing, I am unable to locate it thus far. Thanks
    Last edited by patrickjbrown; 07-16-12 at 01:25 PM. Reason: spelling, etc

Quote Originally Posted by patrickjbrown View Post
    I found one section of the NEC which seemed to state a light at entry and exits
    Welco...

(the above is an incomplete reply... like your post title and body text seem to be )
    I'll never get there. No matter where I go, I'm always here.

Quote Originally Posted by patrickjbrown View Post
    I found one section of the NEC which seemed to state a light at entry and exits yet, in my understanding there may be a possiblity to do away with a couple three way and four way switches. Many doors open in a small area short distances, perhaps two steps. The owner want to do away with as many switches, etc as posssible. Is there a section of the NEC that clarifies this requirement am missing, I am unable to locate it thus far. Thanks
    Well somehow your post managed to be completed after my first post

The only section I can think of is 210.70.
    I'll never get there. No matter where I go, I'm always here.

With a few exceptions such as 210.70, the NEC does not care if you have light switches.
    I addressed this once with a Code Change when I had bathroom light switches in the kitchen and the CMP advised it was a "design" issue not a Code/Safety issue.
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

Building codes

You may need to check your locally adopted building code.