Good Reference material for Residential technique

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeNorm

Any good and most important, up to date reference material for doing quality electrical work. Mostly interested in residential because that is what I do mainly.

It is obvious that experience is the best reference, so no need to go there. I am looking for supplemental books, websites, etc.

Thanks

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The best reference I found was "Wiring a House" by Rex Cauldwell.

What was most valuable for me was having a mentor I could call to ask questions.

MAC702

I left the industrial/commercial construction world for the residential troubleshooting and remodeling world. I think back and laugh at the learning curve I went through. I took a lot longer, but treated it like a school of hard knocks, and didn't charge by the hour while I was figuring it out. I learned a lot just staring at the products on the shelf wondering how they would have to be installed...

I remember the first time I fished a cable into a wall. I thought I was a genius. First few jobs I did with MC cable because I had some and knew how to use it. Once I learned how to do Romex.....

Last edited:

Ozymandias

I'd recommend BOTH Rex's book, noted above, as well as Mullin's book, "Electrical Wiring, Residential".
Edit: I have both. I second Mullin's book, more in depth and with blue prints for new construction, it's geared towards a classroom setting. Rex's is great as well for reference.

Ozymandias

The Black & Decker electrical books at Lowe's or Home Depot are pretty good, come with code updates, code references, and plenty of pictures.
Understanding the NEC series by our host Mike Holt. I have the series for the 2014 cycle. Plenty of pictures and informational side notes.

Status
Not open for further replies.