• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I was startled when I started into this to find that the default view for viewing a thread is "Linear - Newest first". In this setting, when you click on the main title for a thread, the entire thread is shown newest at the top, and the posts get progressively older as you go down the thread.

I always view threads "Linear - Oldest first" where the top post on the first page is the oldest, and as you go down they get newer, kind of like a book.

How do you view the forum? My thought was, presenting new members with an upside-down forum is confusing, but I want to see if that's just me or if most people see it as I do.

Thanks!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
George this is a choice one can make in the general settings... I like the linear- oldest first. Mine has always been oldest first.

gar

Occupation
EE
110608-0846 EDT

My preference is newest first. Most useful to me. It might be called a LIFO as distinguished from FIFO.

What could be useful as an additional function would be a toggle between last marked post and the current one being viewed. By default at entry to a thread the original post would be automatically marked as last marked post.

Maybe such a function exists and I do not know about it.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Remember there is an icon with a double arrow that is next to the name of the last poster. That arrow will take you to the last post. It looks like this--
lastpost-right.png

tkb

I use oldest first also. But I always go for the last post.
I click on the
firstnew.png
button next to the thread title of an unread thread.
Or if it is marked read I will click on the
lastpost-right.png
button next to the last posters name to get to the last post.

I voted wrong.

Last edited:

realolman

I never thought about it.

The original post is first and then people's replies in order.

I don't see much point in reading the latest post and the twists and turns that these threads often take (in reverse :blink:), and not knowing what started the whole brouhaha until last.

cadpoint

I never thought of it, oldest or newest. I usually look for a topic that I interested in and read that first.

I never thought about it.

The original post is first and then people's replies in order.

I don't see much point in reading the latest post and the twists and turns that these threads often take (in reverse :blink:), and not knowing what started the whole brouhaha until last.

I'm in the boat with these guy's...

I will jump to a longer (answered/replys) if it can recall the statis or count of the
responses, but hardly ever. The forum as it IS for me, I read all of a orginial post it, tommorrow if I return to same orginal post, I'll go then use or jump to that first new post by using, "View First Unread".

If you want to ADD something "View First Unread" with a single arrow, and keep two directional arrows for last post in OP, where ever or however the post shows up... seems that might work.

You might need to delete your cookie or there is a program "Hook" that is in the software and needs to be reset because you have been experimenting with it.

The Software / Forum has always been last answer active to the OP for; Title or Subject as it was started. (now I'm confuse- Darn)

Why is this such a worry it has to start someplace! One has to understand the OP to have an answer ? ! Right ! ?

:)

: ?

Last edited:
I'm in the boat with these guy's...

I will jump to a longer (answered/replys) if it can recall the statis or count of the
responses, but hardly ever. The forum as it IS for me, I read all of a orginial post it, tommorrow if I return to same orginal post, I'll go then use or jump to that first new post by using, "View First Unread".

If you want to ADD something "View First Unread" with a single arrow, and keep two directional arrows for last post in OP, where ever or however the post shows up... seems that might work.

You might need to delete your cookie or there is a program "Hook" that is in the software and needs to be reset because you have been experimenting with it.

The Software / Forum has always been last answer active to the OP for; Title or Subject as it was started. (now I'm confuse- Darn)

Why is this such a worry it has to start someplace! One has to understand the OP to have an answer ? ! Right ! ?

:)

: ?

To elaborate more:

I go on the forum and look at "What's New" and selectively pick posts based on the title.
I mark/comment on those where I can offer a substantial contribution, the I follow from there.
The commentary is what gives me the most value, both from understanding where my colleagues stand on issues, and from the puirely learning/educational standpoint. I have to say that this - and simliar ones - forum offers a vastly larger oppurtunity to educate myself that any other professional contact I have, either on a daily professional contact or throughout my work.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I want to thank everyone for participating. The official poll results are:

Linear - Oldest First - 60 votes
Linear - Newest First - 1 vote
Other - 2 votes

Now, about now many people are scratching their heads, if they noticed the poll at the top of the screen before reading this post. I thought that the numbers seemed a lot different than what I expected. I went through and looked at the "Newest First" voters' profiles, and found they misvoted. When they view a thread on this forum, they see the oldest post of that thread at the top of the page, and as they scroll down they see newer posts. Karl J was the only voter who views the forum "Newest First."

Just voting was helpful, it provided me with a list of people who cared enough to vote, and wanted their opinion heard - so don't feel as though you wasted your time. (The list provided was also easier to verify than just looking at the member's list.)

I have changed the default view for new registrants to match what appears 'normal' for the rest of us, that was the purpose of my poll. Thanks again. :cool:

Last edited:

gar

Occupation
EE
110613-2333 EDT

George:

You are correct that my default setting is FIFO, but as soon as I enter the thread I immediately go to the newest post. Thus, functionally in terms of use I operate LIFO.

Status
Not open for further replies.