PVC under cement floor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JGL63

Installing PVC below a commercial slab for the first time...does it go under the mesh? Do I need to trench or is the slab adequate cover? Any pointers?

Thanks!

GO BRUINS!!!

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
PVC in slab

PVC in slab

If it is a slab on grade I would go in the fill at least a few inches down. Less likely to have cracking along the pipe and prevents problems later when it's time for renovations that require floor cutting.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I agree under the mesh. I usually don't install much in the slab as I do residential work but I tend to wait for the stone then rake back a bit and lay my pipe, then cover it up. Usually the top of my pipe is flush with the stone.

electricalperson

I like to dig a trench. It keeps it down far enough and you can support it when you sweep up into a wall. If you have multiple PVC conduits coming up in the same area such as into a panel, use 2 pieces of 1/2 emt and tie them all together. Dont forget to cover the ends up. Objects fall inside. especially concrete

iwire

Staff member
NEC wise you can lay it on the dirt and just cover it with the cement.

That said, look at your job specifications, I bet they tell you to have the conduits flush with or below the dirt under the slab as a conduit in a floor slab can result in a crack that follows the conduit.

Status
Not open for further replies.