Marathon pool pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

M. D.

I wired a marathon impower pool pump about two weeks ago , homeowner says the GFCI is tripping .. it will run then trip at some point during the day or every couple days ... there will be a trip . Anyone out there familiar with this newish pool pump ? And any problems it may have ? Here is a link

stevebea

I wired a marathon impower pool pump about two weeks ago , homeowner says the GFCI is tripping .. it will run then trip at some point during the day or every couple days ... there will be a trip . Anyone out there familiar with this newish pool pump ? And any problems it may have ? Here is a link

Just a thought. If you have a bad seal on the pump it could allow water into the motor housing.

M. D.

Doubtful that it's water .. I was thinking more like an issue when it automatically changes speeds ... some sort of capacitance issue or something ..The circuit breaker is outside , in the proper enclosure of course,.. There were some tiny ants in there ..I wonder if they might not have built a moisture holding structure in the GFCI ? Hmmm ...Thanks for the reply

Occupation
Inspector

Is this a GFCI breaker? Have you tried to replace the breaker?

M. D.

It is a breaker less than a year old. the impower pump is a 240 volt hardwired pump,. the impower pump has replaced a single speed pump there was never a tripping issue before the old pump was there like 10 years I think?.. Come to think of it I'm not sure on how old the breaker is ?? might be the easiest thing to try... probably will... Iwas just wonering if it was a more systemic type problem..

rich000

Breaker replacement is first guess. The breakers tend to have a shorter lifespan in an outdoor environment. Get some bug spray in there also and try to seal it up as best you can.

Next, observe and take measurements when the pump switches on, switches from high speed to low speed, and switches off to see if the pump switching is causing the issue.

Also, does it happen after it rains? There may be an improperly sealed box.

Good luck.

Occupation
Inspector
It is a breaker less than a year old. the impower pump is a 240 volt hardwired pump,. the impower pump has replaced a single speed pump there was never a tripping issue before the old pump was there like 10 years I think?.. Come to think of it I'm not sure on how old the breaker is ?? might be the easiest thing to try... probably will... Iwas just wonering if it was a more systemic type problem..

Let us know what you find out and good luck.

M. D.

Looks like the pump ... I called talked to a woman that directs calls ,. she said they've been getting quite a few calls on tripping GFCIs and this particular pump motor... Also the guy I wired this for is in the pool and tub industry , has been for a long time, he said the folks he talked to said there seems to be a wee bit of an issue... he left a message on my machine .. we haven't talked yet but everything is pointing to the pump..

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
let us know what the mfg says, I would think that some current in the control is leaking to ground somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.