Neon question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I don't know of any threads closed strictly because it was a neon question. Now if a poster is not in the industry or not qualified to be doing this kind of work, the thread might get closed. But none that I know of are closed for the reason of it just being about signs.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Not trying to get myself in Trouble but why is the Forum scared of neon and all the questions get closed out?

nobody here afraid of neon that i know of....
i was learning to bend tube in the 80's.
where else can you work with high voltage, open flame,
molten glass, broken glass, and toxic heavy metal vapors all at once?

it's definitely a niche market since channel letters all went LED years
ago.

here is a neon embedded coffee table i made for pagent of the masters
in laguna beach, a lifetime ago....

table.jpg

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Once a thread passes a certain age with no recent activity the
forum software automatically closes it.
If there were no recent threads about neon, then a search will just find closed threads.
I remember threads about wiring and about ratings of neon sign transformers which were active for awhile and then died natural deaths.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
I see you posted a question about proper grounding of a 480V service and of a step down transformer. This would have been closed because you are not an electrician.

The forum rules explicitly prohibit answering 'DIY' questions, where 'DIY' is considered doing any task in a realm you are not generally qualified for. The reason is that we could answer the specific question that you ask, but don't know about the 20 other things which you don't even know you should be asking about.

If you start a discussion about neon tube electrodes, or high voltage wiring between tubes and transformers, or other aspects of electricity that are normally part of your job, then that won't get closed down.

Sometimes when one electrician asks about a particularly esoteric part of the field, other electricians will say 'sub that out to someone who specializes in it'.

-Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.