Log home bid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mccayry

I was asked to give a bid on a log home for a HO. I have never wired a log home and I was just looking for some tips or things that I could possibly overlook. From what I know the home was not a package kit, it was built with random length logs. Its a one level with a basement and the HO has done nothing to my knowledge to prepare for running circuits, outlets, service, etc. My thoughts were to drill up into the logs from the basement and cut in outlets that will be in the log walls. I have not been inside the house so Im not real sure what to expect, I just thought I would try and educate myself on the situation before I looked at the house. Its always cheaper to learn from others mistakes than your own. Thanks

SBuck

I have been in a few log homes but never worked on one. The few I have been in were exposed pipe and boxes.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
hopefully If you can drill up from the basement and place outlets in the lowes log. For switches you can use extensions or run them in a groove at a window or door jamb. Plan the job to take way more than a normal home. I plan about a 1/2 to 3/4 hour to grind a flat spot and plow a hole on the log for the box. Multi-gang boxes expect additional time.

Hopefully the roof is not on yet and you can drill down.

Treat the job a re-wire and you are fishing wires.

Steviechia2

I have wired 4 log homes. Takes about 2-3 times longer and a lot of planning with the contractor. Outside walls are the most challenging of course but most times inside walls are studded and tongue and groove boards which makes wiring easier. Also they usually have a normal ceiling in the bath for running of some wires and exhaust fan.
The people who live in these usually know you can't have a lot of luxury wiring so put the plugs at max distance.
You will have to come back several times to drill wires when they are stacking logs. Keep the hole to the back of the box
Snake up on lower level plugs and switches. I use plastic boxes and drill a 3/4 hole in the back of it and slide it through after snaking wires
Upper floor depending on roof type you might have to router a groove for wires.
There are a lot of scenarios so find out all info on construction type and who is doing what as far as box cut outs, router etc...

480sparky

Its a true log home built with a "D" log.

"D" logs are veneer. So basically, you have this:

DSC04359a.jpg

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
If the outside walls are already laid, it's going to be a real pita! Real tight on drilling a hole up because of the foundation, you can't get a very long bit in there. I always let them lay the first row of logs, then drill down from the top at the future receptacle locations, mark each spot on the sub floor, come back later when they have the wall logs up, but not the rafters and cut the boxes into the logs, drill holes up for the lights, switch locations. (The switch wiring is run in a oversize chase at the door jamb)

mccayry

I have wired 4 log homes. Takes about 2-3 times longer and a lot of planning with the contractor. Outside walls are the most challenging of course but most times inside walls are studded and tongue and groove boards which makes wiring easier. Also they usually have a normal ceiling in the bath for running of some wires and exhaust fan.
The people who live in these usually know you can't have a lot of luxury wiring so put the plugs at max distance.
You will have to come back several times to drill wires when they are stacking logs. Keep the hole to the back of the box
Snake up on lower level plugs and switches. I use plastic boxes and drill a 3/4 hole in the back of it and slide it through after snaking wires
Upper floor depending on roof type you might have to router a groove for wires.
There are a lot of scenarios so find out all info on construction type and who is doing what as far as box cut outs, router etc...

The logs are stacked and the roof is on. The HO has been working on it for about 2 years off and on. Like I said Im not real sure what to expect. There may be holes drilled and cut outs for boxes but I highly doubt it.

"D" logs are veneer. So basically, you have this:

DSC04359a.jpg

The logs are either 6"x8" or 8"x8" D logs. They are rounded on the exterior and flat on the interior. It is not log siding its actual logs.

480sparky

The logs are stacked and the roof is on. The HO has been working on it for about 2 years off and on. Like I said Im not real sure what to expect. There may be holes drilled and cut outs for boxes but I highly doubt it.

If the house is already up, you need to not only use a 3x multiplier based on standard framed houses, you then need to use another 3x multiplier for a rewire. Otherwise, you're hosing yourself.

The logs are either 6"x8" or 8"x8" D logs. They are rounded on the exterior and flat on the interior. It is not log siding its actual logs.

Veneer does not mean fake wood. Logs can be a veneer. D-logs are a veneer.... they're just make with real logs cut lengthwise and milled on the edges.

mccayry

Just got off the phone with the HO. He is wanting me to give him a price on rough-in only. He said that the logs have been pre-drilled so to me it sounds like its gonna be one PTA! Im gonna meet with him tomorrow so we shall see.

480sparky

I would still bid it heavy. Unless you actually do the work, there's no way you can predict how easy/difficult it will end up being.

But what I can't figure out is why the holes would need to be pre-drilled in if it's a D-log system. D-logs go onto normal stick framing. "Having holes already drilled" means it's a true, full log.

cal1947

tofer1947

tofer1947

i did two log homes about 15 years ago , the builder was from up north they were familer with the layout for outlets on the outside walls they would drill a hole and leave a pull string in there, you always cut in your plugs horizonal and switches you had to chase the up where the trim is theres always a big slot because the logs shrink a little over time

mccayry

I would still bid it heavy. Unless you actually do the work, there's no way you can predict how easy/difficult it will end up being.

But what I can't figure out is why the holes would need to be pre-drilled in if it's a D-log system. D-logs go onto normal stick framing. "Having holes already drilled" means it's a true, full log.

The logs are solid 8" wide by 8" thick. I have always referred to them as "D" logs.

mccayry

i did two log homes about 15 years ago , the builder was from up north they were familer with the layout for outlets on the outside walls they would drill a hole and leave a pull string in there, you always cut in your plugs horizonal and switches you had to chase the up where the trim is theres always a big slot because the logs shrink a little over time

Why horizontal?

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Just got off the phone with the HO. He is wanting me to give him a price on rough-in only. He said that the logs have been pre-drilled so to me it sounds like its gonna be one PTA! Im gonna meet with him tomorrow so we shall see.

The HO wants just a rough bid?
Who will do the finish?
Is this rough only something you will do or have done in the past?

Status
Not open for further replies.