Branch breakers protecting spliced conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

FaradayFF

Hi,

Is there a reference in NEC that states what is permitted and what is not permitted for a breaker protecting multiple spliced branch circuits? Say I have a 40 Amp breaker protecting #8 that comes into a JB and two #12 circuits come out and run to a load? I'm not sure this is allowed, since I'm changing my wire size and turning one circuit into multiple circuits.

Thank you.

kwired

Electron manager
By connecting multiple branch circuits together, you now have one branch circuit.

One thing you do have wrong is a portion of that branch circuit doesn't comply with overcurrent protection requirements.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
In general you can't tap a branch circuit. The 12s would have to be protected per one of the rules in 240.21(B) and that would make the 8s feeder conductors.

kwired

Electron manager
In general you can't tap a branch circuit. The 12s would have to be protected per one of the rules in 240.21(B) and that would make the 8s feeder conductors.

OP didn't give details on the loads supplied, two of the more common things that do fit what he described that could be legal would be lighting taps or cooking appliances taps.

Status
Not open for further replies.