Chandelier over Jaccuzzi

Status
Not open for further replies.

wlittle

A customer wants to put a chandelier over her jaccuzzi tub. The bathroom has a corner shower separate from the jaccuzzi. I have told her she can?t, code says no - even explained the tub/shower zone in the NEC, quoted 410.10(D). And even if I install it at the ceiling, it is still just 7' from the top edge of the tub - well inside the 8? rule. (or 7'6" if you stretch and call it a spa). So, she looked for pictures (online) and found a bunch of designers deemed 'professional' promoting this type of thing. For instance - http://brookegiannetti.typepad.com/velvet_and_linen/2008/11/a-before-and-after-feminine-bathroom.html is one. And http://thetileshopdesignbykirsty.blogspot.com/2010_02_14_archive.html is another that even says ?a really neat way to dress up a whirlpool?.

How are they getting away with this? Is there some exception that I am missing that allows this?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It's a violation regardless of how many professional designers put them there.

You can post on those blogs. Might be fun to tell them that their designs cannot pass real inspections. Also in the first link that is a hydromassage tub.

RICK NAPIER

I have seen many ocassions where designers or even designer/architect show little respect for code requirements in their searh for aesthetic perfection. Even removing structual elements without addressing the damage. So an electrical code violation would mean little.

wlittle

yes, and if it is, then its clear that it has to follow chapter 3 wiring methods per 680.72! :rant:there is just no way around it. the only code based solution is that you put it so that the closest dangly part of the light is right on the outside 3' boundary of the zone and not directly above the tub, jaccuzzi, spa or hydromassage tub (which is what my customer has per the definition in 680 - AKA whirlpool).

i realize i am answering my own question - was just hoping for some buried exception that i have never seen. of course, if the AHJ says its ok... but that is a whole other issue...:D

perhaps i will be ornery and post on their blog! doubt it would do much though

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Well I am glad that I am not the only one with a customer like yours who won't belive you! Give them a copy of the code section.

marti smith

I find it's helpful in customer relations to give the person a 'class' in the why's about the code. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't. She may have the chandelier put up after you're gone to suit her fancy, but I like to at least give the customer an earful on why certain situations are dangerous. Not to mention that her chandelier will rust and corrode over time due to the fact that it's probably not suited for a damp/wet location.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I find it's helpful in customer relations to give the person a 'class' in the why's about the code. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't. She may have the chandelier put up after you're gone to suit her fancy, but I like to at least give the customer an earful on why certain situations are dangerous. Not to mention that her chandelier will rust and corrode over time due to the fact that it's probably not suited for a damp/wet location.

I hear ya, The only issue and hurdle I have is that as long as there are folks that will do illegal work it makes it very difficult to tell the customer otherwise. This is a case in point. You have two articles showing the customer what they wish and both are violations.

marti smith

Well, if it makes any one feel better, I recently visited with a structural engineer about a project: he said,"We were told NOT to involve any architects/designers!"

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Well, if it makes any one feel better, I recently visited with a structural engineer about a project: he said,"We were told NOT to involve any architects/designers!"

And.........because,,,,sorry for being a little dense if I don't get it. :eek:

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Hey I posted a comment on that persons web page and they deleted it. They wrote that the chandelier is not over the tub. Well maybe so, though it appears to be in the tub area though. :happysad:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I was just going to say that the chandelier looks like it is in the middle of the bathroom and outside the bathtub area.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Take another look at the pictures the light definitly appears to be in the tub area. View attachment 5522 View attachment 5521

I think the first picture does not appear to be over the tub.

6a00e554d7b8278833010535cfb2dd970c-500wi

This image is definitely over the tub

Chandelier+Over+Tub+2.jpg

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I think you need to look at the second photo I submitted.

I don't remeber how to make it appear in the post.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Count the tiles on the floor they appear to be 12x12 . That chandelier is in the tub area.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
look at all the references. look at where the TV is in relationship to the tub,the wall, the ceiling.

Count the floor tiles. The tub front is about 3 feet from the window. The far edge of the TV is about 3 feet from the window.

Imagine where the camera is

look at the ceiling and where the fixture is hanging.

Remember the fixture must be 3 feet from the rim of the tub. That would place the closest edge of the fixture at 6 feet from the window and the canopy at 7 feet. That fixture is about 1 1/2 feet wide. There is no possible way that fixture is entirely outside the tub area!

Status
Not open for further replies.