D-log:

dlog.jpg

My interpretation of a "D" log.

Attachments

• d log.jpg
    d log.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 0

480sparky

Ok so is that something you will consider. How will you deal with comlaints about the rough-in

There will be no complaints about the rough-in. ALL problems will be caused during rough-in, at least according to the HO.

Unless I can provide a complete turn-key operation, I pass.

mccayry

Ok so is that something you will consider. How will you deal with comlaints about the rough-in

I will definitly have to take that into consideration when I talk to him tomorrow. As long as we are both on the same page and its in writing I wont have a problem with it.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I will definitly have to take that into consideration when I talk to him tomorrow. As long as we are both on the same page and its in writing I wont have a problem with it.

well, i'm not getting that.... trimming something like this should be
pretty cheap, as there isn't gonna be a ton of wiring.... seems this
sort of process would be like piping boxes in concrete block walls,
as far as having to put it in as walls are stacked.... cutting it all in
afterwards? ewwww.....

unless you are totally becalmed in the water, i'd fish elsewhere....

i'd think if i was gonna do something like this, i'd be looking at
floor boxes everywhere... assuming it was a hardwood floor and
subfloor, i'd get a metal detector to check before cutting, for nails,
make up a template, and use a plunge router.... a strong router
could pop a perfect hole in about half a minute, and wire everything
in the crawlspace.... there's still the switches.....

good luck...

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
My experience is that about 1 in 25 actually make a profit on their first log home or in-ground pool :D
If you have never done one it is almost impossible to bill to cover the actual time involved as there is a learning curve.
If the owner will allow a "box" type baseboard and you can mount your receptacles in it that expedites things but it's normally not aesthetically acceptable.
As hillbilly1 stated, wiremold is a possibility, but again often not aesthetically acceptable.
Without doubt, it will be a learning experience.

growler

My experience is that about 1 in 25 actually make a profit on their first log home or in-ground pool :D

I agree I think every type of work requires specialized training ( experience ) and tools to make the job competitive. You always have the advantage if you know what you are doing and can plan better.

I wouldn't be worth a darn at wiring log homes but I see no reason to get into it because there are not enough being built in this area to make it worth while.

mccayry

I really appreciate all the input. I looked at the job the other day and Im working on a bid now. The logs have been drilled from the bottom up about
24" and they are all about 6' apart. I will only have about 12 receptacles in the log walls and all the switches will be on stud walls. Any ideas on types of boxes to use in the log walls or ideas on cutting out for the box? I was thinking of using a 16.5 cu in square handy box.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I really appreciate all the input. I looked at the job the other day and Im working on a bid now. The logs have been drilled from the bottom up about
24" and they are all about 6' apart. I will only have about 12 receptacles in the log walls and all the switches will be on stud walls. Any ideas on types of boxes to use in the log walls or ideas on cutting out for the box? I was thinking of using a 16.5 cu in square handy box.

Good to hear back,

Personally use plastic boxes as they have more room. I use a large self feed bit to plow out the hole. 2 holes per box and chisle the rest. I use a grinder and a sander to make a flat spot for the plate. I tilt the drill and plow out the bottom of the hole at an angle to allow for the wires. Some guys have made a square cutter to finnish off the hole. Don't be afraid to back cut the hole to allow for wires as long as you have enough wood to screw the box to. If you don't like hacking the nail parts of a plastic box you can use the Arlington ONE box as it made for cut in like this.
Good luck !
Does the owner still want rough only?
Are you willing to do this?

mccayry

Good to hear back,

Personally use plastic boxes as they have more room. I use a large self feed bit to plow out the hole. 2 holes per box and chisle the rest. I use a grinder and a sander to make a flat spot for the plate. I tilt the drill and plow out the bottom of the hole at an angle to allow for the wires. Some guys have made a square cutter to finnish off the hole. Don't be afraid to back cut the hole to allow for wires as long as you have enough wood to screw the box to. If you don't like hacking the nail parts of a plastic box you can use the Arlington ONE box as it made for cut in like this.
Good luck !

The logs are a 6"x12" so it is flat on the inside so that will allow a flat fit against the logs. I am willing to only rough it in but I am pushing for the turnkey deal. Im pretty sure he will give in. I dont think they make a Finish Electrical for Dummies:lol:

mccayry

Good to hear back,

Good luck !

I like it. A little pricey though.

Status
Not open for further replies.