In Florida, staute permitting EC to draw one line diagram

Status
Not open for further replies.

LYLE2231

Friends, What is the Florida statute that allows an EC to draw and submit for permitting a one line diagram. Not greater than 240 volts or 600 amps.

Npstewart

Its in the Florida Building Code - section 105.3.1.2.

The statute itself is somehwere in "61G15" chapter, section 471.003. Click the link below and look mid-way down, this is the Florida statute, to access it click below:

http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/FileStores/Web/Statutes/FS07/CH0471/Section_0471.003.HTM

Please note that just because it says it in the statute, the AHJ can still require an engineer to seal the drawings if the municipality requires it. If you want to fight, you probably wont win, you would have to call the city/county attorney to argue it.

We used to get a lot of electrical contractors trying to design their own stuff, no problem with it I suppose if you ask me, as long as it is right. Good Luck

Npstewart

Also, its not 600A (or) 240V, its 600A @240V. This is only for residential though.

For commercial, it is 800A @ 240V.

This means you actually can do a design greater then 240V, but the equivelent ampacity @ 240V can't exceed 600A or 800A respectively.

inspector141

We allow a licensed electrical contractors to submit drawings for minor commercial work....small office renovation etc.... If they sumbit unprofessional drawings, we send them back. All jobs do not need a professional engineer to design, sign and stamp, but many do. We reserve the right to deny an electrician plan submital if he or she is outside of the scope of the rule or submits inaccurate or unprofessional plans.

LYLE2231

thanks very much!

Its in the Florida Building Code - section 105.3.1.2.

The statute itself is somehwere in "61G15" chapter, section 471.003. Click the link below and look mid-way down, this is the Florida statute, to access it click below:

http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/FileStores/Web/Statutes/FS07/CH0471/Section_0471.003.HTM

Please note that just because it says it in the statute, the AHJ can still require an engineer to seal the drawings if the municipality requires it. If you want to fight, you probably wont win, you would have to call the city/county attorney to argue it.

We used to get a lot of electrical contractors trying to design their own stuff, no problem with it I suppose if you ask me, as long as it is right. Good Luck

Npstewart

thanks very much!

No problem..

Also, in reply to the inspector, I have certainly received a lot of projects that electrical contractors have submitted for plan review that was all but drawn on the back of a used napkin. I would reject that too even if it was right, it needs to be professional.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
No problem..

Also, in reply to the inspector, I have certainly received a lot of projects that electrical contractors have submitted for plan review that was all but drawn on the back of a used napkin. I would reject that too even if it was right, it needs to be professional.

What legal basis is there to reject something that is correct?

Does the law or some code have requirements for such plans?

bphgravity

What legal basis is there to reject something that is correct?

The legal basis is that permit applications and construction documents must comply with a format and a procedure established by the local jurisdiction. The submitter does not get to pick and choose the method or format. So, even correct plans or drawings in the WRONG format may be rejected.

Does the law or some code have requirements for such plans?

Yes. Here in Florida, Chapter 1 of the FBC outlines the administrative procedures for regulation of building construction. Section 104 outlines the Duties and Powers of the Building Official. Section 105 outlines requirements for permits. Section 106 outlines requirements for construction dosuments.

To add to the confusion, every local jurisdiction (600+) throughout the state is permitted to amend their Chapter 1 administrative procedures by ordinance. So while the state uniformily enforces the FBC / NEC as written, the administrative requirements vary from city to city and county to county.

Status
Not open for further replies.