Repeated Microwave Deaths Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fateswarning

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]My Town House built in 2000 and p[/FONT][FONT=&quot]reviously never had any electrical issues. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Microwave has a dedicated 20 amp circuit breaker and 12 Gauge solid wire. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Builder installed 15 amp receptacle on the 20 amp circuit [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Original Microwave died after 18 years. Cord melted over 5 inches with one of the wires partially exposed. I unplugged microwave, wrapped the cord in electrical tape, plugged it back in. There was a spark, pop, smoke, and the outlet burnt brown. I don’t think the circuit breaker tripped. The 12 gauge wires connected to the outlet looked fine after I removed the burnt outlet. [/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]I replaced the 15 amp burnt outlet with a new 20 amp outlet. Had a new $300 GE microwave installed. It worked fine for a year and then died. This time the outlet didn’t get burnt and the outlet continued to work after the microwave died. Tested with clock, fan, and hair dryer. [/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]I bought another new microwave this week, but I have not plugged it in yet. I also installed another new 20 amp outlet yesterday, tested it with a hair dryer it works fine. [/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]I watched videos and wanted to change the circuit breaker. I slightly stripped the screw and can’t get it out. It’s super tight. There is no visible damage to the wires connected to the circuit breaker, but I can’t see under the screw. [/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Do you think the breaker could be bad even though the outlet works fine with fans, clocks, and hair dryer? Can a breaker be partially damaged and provide inconsistent power?[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Can the solid wires suffer non visible damage? Or could the wire be damaged behind the wall? [/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Since the builder used a 15 amp outlet, i’m wondering if I use a 15 amp outlet instead of the 20 amp that I just installed?[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]What would an electrician do in this situation? Is the circuit breaker the only possibility of a problem?[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]I’m not working and don’t have money to pay for an electrician unless there is no absolutely no other option. I’m afraid to plug in my new microwave. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thx. [/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Unfortunately the only advice we can offer is to contact a local EC, the forum rules do not allow us to assist in DIY projects so I must close the thread.
[h=2]Read Before Posting: Forum Rules / Treatment of New Members[/h]
This site is designed for:

• Electrical Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals

* This NEC� Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice​

Roger​

Status
Not open for further replies.