LICENSED ELECTRICIAN ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

puckman

In new jersey you must have a electrical contractor license to do any electrical work . My question is if a electrician or maintenance person is employed by a private company unrelated to electrical contracting and is doing electrical work such as replacing motors and the equipment that goes along with them , push buttons , starters , relays, vfd , are the workers exampt from the law for working as or under a licensed electrician ? I don't see this as being maintenance work, where do the workers get the training to size equipment or code requirements ?

ceb58

In new jersey you must have a electrical contractor license to do any electrical work . My question is if a electrician or maintenance person is employed by a private company unrelated to electrical contracting and is doing electrical work such as replacing motors and the equipment that goes along with them , push buttons , starters , relays, vfd , are the workers exampt from the law for working as or under a licensed electrician ? I don't see this as being maintenance work, where do the workers get the training to size equipment or code requirements ?

In NC it states if a company has its own maint. staff, working on their own equipment, under directions from the company then there is no licensing requirement. I cant understand why you feel that replacing motors and every thing else is not maint. work. Imagine the down time a plant would have if they had to call in an outside contractor to replace a fuse. As far as training it is up to the company to hire qualified people and keep them up to date on every thing.

rodneee

i have no idea if the workers are exempt but this does not strike me as anything out of the ordinary...i did some minor repairs for a national drug company alongside their "maintenance electricians" as they wired a 3000 SQ FT lab addition...my men said they were impressed with their work...

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Yes, they are exempt (in NJ) as long as they are doing maintenance work only for that particular facility. They cannot obtain a business permit and may not contract business with the public.

BTW, I'm hearing (through the grapevine) that AC contractors have been lobbying the State and will soon be able to install any and all electrical work pertaining to their equipment (not just disconnect and reconnect). That will be coming down the pike sooner than we think.

iwire

Staff member
They are not exempt from permit requirements.

Or inspections I imagine.

Here in MA the building wiring in industrial locations must be done with permits, licensed electricians and inspections.

The repairs to machines can be done without a license or permits.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
They are not exempt from permit requirements.
That is correct Rick. The way I understand it is that if there is any maintenance type electrical work (i.e change bulbs & ballasts, etc.) to be done inside the building they can do that work under the company umbrella provided they have the qualifications to do so (i.e training in electricity and not just the using the guy that cuts the lawn just because he's on the payroll ;)). However, if the company decides to put on an addition and use "in-house" personnel to do the electrical work obviously permits and inspections are required for that work. IMHO, if a company is not using a licensed electrician to do this work, the liability for them is greater than what the job is worth.

puckman

The reason I asked this is workers replace motors of different hp and use the same wiring which may not be a problem but cb and overloads are not even looked at in most cases . No i don;t believe a contractor has to be called for a fuse or ballast. I do believe any work from a mcc or load center should have a electrician involved. Most maintenance people know very little about starters and their wiring except where to reset it. Outside help in most cases would not be needed if the right people were the first on the job.

zog

The reason I asked this is workers replace motors of different hp and use the same wiring which may not be a problem but cb and overloads are not even looked at in most cases . No i don;t believe a contractor has to be called for a fuse or ballast. I do believe any work from a mcc or load center should have a electrician involved. Most maintenance people know very little about starters and their wiring except where to reset it. Outside help in most cases would not be needed if the right people were the first on the job.

Replacing a motor with a new one can cause issues too, motors made after 2010 have higher efficiency requirements and the same motor with same ratings may draw more current.

Status
Not open for further replies.