Thread: sccr

sccr

So I need to get 65kA in a panel that has some 20A breakers.

There are of course, no 20A breakers with a rating that high, even series rated. Unless one adds another breaker in the mix. Its like using a CB as a distribution block. It bugs me, but it is a workable and relatively inexpensive answer to the problem.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by petersonra View Post
    There are of course, no 20A breakers with a rating that high, even series rated. Unless one adds another breaker in the mix. Its like using a CB as a distribution block. It bugs me, but it is a workable and relatively inexpensive answer to the problem.
    What voltage do you have?

Square D QO breakers (actually QH) are 65kAIC rated upto 240V.
    Or, simply get a '480V' breaker and use it at 208V. I would bet that every manufacturer has this option for 65kAIC.

But, based on your other postings I am guessing that you want a 480V 'DIN rail' style breaker for a control circuit.
    Last edited by jim dungar; 07-20-12 at 07:52 PM. Reason: finished my thought
    Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Quote Originally Posted by jim dungar View Post
    What voltage do you have?

Square D QO breakers (actually QH) are 65kAIC rated upto 240V.
    Or, simply get a '480V' breaker and use it at 208V. I would bet that every manufacturer has this option for 65kAIC.

But, based on your other postings I am guessing that you want a 480V 'DIN rail' style breaker for a control circuit.
    Its for some smallish 480V motors with a 1200 A main CB on the control panel.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by petersonra View Post
    Its for some smallish 480V motors with a 1200 A main CB on the control panel.
    65kAIC is a standard rating for 480V breakers. You should be able to find one pretty easily, but they will be about 4"w by 7"tall
    Look into something like the Square D HJL36020(?)
    Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Most of the IEC type "Manual Motor Starters" are rated 65kAIC when used in a "Group Fusing" application such as you are describing.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    "Dear future generations: Please accept our apologies. We were rolling drunk on petroleum."
    — Kilgore Trout (via Kurt Vonnegut)