Spa & Pool Sub-Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdcengineer

I swear there is a code requirement which does not allow a new hot tub/spa to be served from a sub-panel. Am I making this up, or can someone point me to the right place...?

Thx

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
It sure can.
You need to look a 680 for specifics, note there have been changes over the past few code cycles.

Let us know if this anwers your concern

cdcengineer

Read thru 680 a few times. Also looked at 230 & 240.

I'm looking back to 2002 and cannot find what I think I'm looking for. It's driving me nuts, and perhaps it's all in my head regarding the sub-panel deal. But an associate is thinking the same thing, so perhaps it's mass hysteria in the office today.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
There is nothing prohibiting a sub-panel, but the wiring must comply with 680.23(F) if applicable.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Are you thinking that because the EGC needs to be insulated that the sub panel cannot be used? If it is an existing sub panel to a remote building then the egc does not need to be insulated otherwise I read 680.25(A)& (B) as needing an insulated EGC to the sub panel.

Last edited:

cdcengineer

I don't know why I'm thinking this. Now I wonder if it was a specific local AHJ req'mt.

Thx for the input

Edit - this has hurt my head more than necessary

Last edited:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Boy, our references are all over today. :p

Yep. Glad cdc has had 100 posts and not just one.... not as embarassing...
to add insult to injury, 680.25 was what I was looking for but read right over it 3 times :D

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
OOPs I see I typed 680.26--- I was quoted 680.25 This tells me the sub panel needs an insulated egc unless meeting the existing criterion.

(1) Feeders. Feeders shall be installed in rigid metal conduit or intermediate metal conduit. The following wiring methods shall be permitted if not subject to physical damage:
(1) Liquidtight flexible nonmetallic conduit
(2) Rigid polyvinyl chloride conduit
(3) Reinforced thermosetting resin conduit
(4) Electrical metallic tubing where installed on or within a building
(5) Electrical nonmetallic tubing where installed within a building
(6) Type MC cable where installed within a building and if not subject to corrosive environment
Exception: An existing feeder between an existing remote panelboard and service equipment shall be permitted to run in flexible metal conduit or an approved cable assembly that includes an equipment grounding conductor within its outer sheath. The equipment grounding conductor shall comply
with 250.24(A)(5).
(2) Aluminum Conduit. Aluminum conduit shall not be permitted in the pool area where subject to corrosion.
(B) Grounding. An equipment grounding conductor shall be installed with the feeder conductors between the grounding terminal of the pool equipment panelboard and the grounding terminal of the applicable service equipment or
source of a separately derived system.
For other than (1) existing feeders covered in 680.25(A), exception, or (2) feeders to separate buildings that do not utilize an insulated equipment grounding conductor in accordance with 680.25(B)(2), this equipment grounding conductor shall be insulated.

Status
Not open for further replies.