Bonding a Gas pipe on a patio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjtrout20

A correction notice came thru to me today to bond a gas pipe that had been run for a patio grill. Can anyone shine a light on this (code reference) for me? Thanks T. J.

tjtrout20

I did not look at it real good as I thought it did not concern me at rough. I think the plumber ran a flexible line to it. Unsure if that is CSST that you refer to?

pete m.

I did not look at it real good as I thought it did not concern me at rough. I think the plumber ran a flexible line to it. Unsure if that is CSST that you refer to?

I'm making several assumptions here... but if the gas piping is black iron (the whole system for the house) then chances are pretty good that the gas piping IS already bonded in accordance with 250.104(B).

If the gas line to the patio grill is CSST (corrugated stainless steel tubing) that is tapped off a black iron system then the manufacturer of the CSST typically has additional bonding requirements that is part of their installation instructions.

Pete

RICK NAPIER

If your currently using the 2009 IRC the requirements are found in
SECTION G2411 (310) ELECTRICAL BONDING

G2411.1 (310.1) Pipe and tubing other than CSST. Each above-ground portion of a gas piping system other than corrugated stainless steel tubing (CSST), that is likely to become energized shall be electrically continuous and bonded to an effective ground-fault current path. Gas piping, other than CSST, shall be considered to be bonded where it is connected to appliances that are connected to the equipment grounding conductor of the circuit supplying that appliance.

G2411.1.1 (310.1.1) CSST.
Corrugated stainless steel tubing (CSST) gas piping systems shall be bonded to the electrical service grounding electrode system at the point where the gas service enters the building. The bonding jumper shall be not smaller than 6 AWG copper wire or equivalent.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Interesting that Rick's post states #6. I have seen some CSST piping that requires the bond to be sized by T. 250.66. Omegaflex makes a csst that does not require any additional bonding- it is called counterstrike and it has a black jacket, not yellow.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Here is what I found at the omegaflex site.

For bonding of the conventional yellow- jacketed TracPipe? system, a bonding clamp must be attached to the brass AutoFlare? fitting adapter (adjacent to the pipe thread area – see Figure 4-21) or to a black pipe component (pipe or fitting) located in the same electrically continuous gas piping system as the AutoFlare? fitting. The corrugated stainless steel portion of the gas piping system SHALL NOT be used as the bonding attachment point under any circumstances. The bonding conductor shall be bonded per the National Electrical Code NFPA 70. Bonding electrode conductor sizing shall be in accordance with NFPA 70 Article 250, Section and Table 250.66

tjtrout20

Thanks Pete,
I have googled the issue and found much info about CSST & bonding. I have lots more understanding now than a few hours ago. I had no idea of the requirement as it seems it?s in the manufactures requirements of the plumber?s product. I guess I need a Ouija board up my ? BTW ?Experience is something that?s gained shortly after you really needed it.? Seems appropriate don?t ya think! Thanks again

pete m.

Thanks Pete,
I have googled the issue and found much info about CSST & bonding. I have lots more understanding now than a few hours ago. I had no idea of the requirement as it seems it?s in the manufactures requirements of the plumber?s product. I guess I need a Ouija board up my ? BTW ?Experience is something that?s gained shortly after you really needed it.? Seems appropriate don?t ya think! Thanks again

I have found (most times the hard way) that there is usually more to the story than what we initially think we know. This site is a good place to demonstrate just that!

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.