Landscape Lighting Around in Ground Pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mystic Pools

Occupation
Swimming Pool Contractor
I just want clarification about code requirement for placement of landscape lighting around an inground pool.

My understanding is 680.22 allows such lighting, but it must be within 10' o the inside edge of the pool. I have had inspectors tell me this on many occasions.

Recently I read an article in my trade mag spotlighting a pool project and how the LED lighting around the pool in the patio and how wonderful it was. Looks beautiful, but does it meet code?

After many discussions with colleagues about this, we have concluded the only lighting we could use closer than 10' would fiber optic with the driver being set at least 10' from the inside edge.
We have yet to see a pool approved LED light strip. A LED light strip under the coping stone's overhang in the pool would look great and last. I've been through the fiber optic light strip years ago and the plastic portion always fades and the light output suffers. Plus the end at the driver must be trimmed frequently as the end gets boogered up from the lamp's heat.

I consulted a project about 5 years ago an the designer wanted LED light strips under the coping. I said no-can-do because of code.

I've had many landscape lighting companies come in after we complete a pool and set their landscape adjacent to the pool usually within a few feet. 99% of the lighting is 12V. It's usually tied into our Jandy system for ease of remote control. The power supply to the landscape light is GFCI protected.

I'm on a new build now and a 40' section of the pool will finish 30" off grade with the exposed wall finished with natural stone. I would love to install a light strip under the coping at the raised area.

Another point. Our transformers for our pool LED lights are for pool application and says so on the transformer (Intermatic) A salesman told me some time ago only a pool rated transformer can be used for pool underwater lighting.

Sorry for digressing, but to my first point about code clarification. Please chime in.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The 2017 code changed things. What code are you guys on?

(6) Low-Voltage Luminaires. Listed low-voltage luminaires not
requiring grounding, not exceeding the low-voltage contact
limit, and supplied by listed transformers or power supplies
that comply with 680.23(A)(2) shall be permitted to be located
less than 1.5 m (5 ft) from the inside walls of the pool.

Mystic Pools

Occupation
Swimming Pool Contractor
Thank you. This went into effect 2017?

We don't involved much in landscape lighting so I'm not totaling up to speed on this aspect of the current code. My current project prompted this question.

Thanks for the information.

Status
Not open for further replies.