Different Shades of Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I would say so. I have seen light and dark versions of many colors used to differentiate conductors; blue, green, gray, etc.

MAC702

You'd be hard-pressed to guarantee the same shade anyway, the first time wire is purchased again.

You could purposely use a different shade for your own detailed differentiation, but if blue is called for, Codes won't care about the shades, as long as it's blue. At least none I know of.

Is it "UL rated" or "UL listed?"

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
You'd be hard-pressed to guarantee the same shade anyway, the first time wire is purchased again.

You could purposely use a different shade for your own detailed differentiation, but if blue is called for, Codes won't care about the shades, as long as it's blue. At least none I know of.

Is it "UL rated" or "UL listed?"
We used to have a reference to 'natural grey' but I don't think any one could differentiate between it and 'grey'. It's now gone.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Is it acceptable to use two shades of blue (for 24V circuits) in a UL rated cabinet?

I don't really think there is anything that requires colors period, other than green. You can use all red and wire markers to designate. That said, as others have indicated, it would be difficult in the future to find the right color if something needs to be repaired. I work at a place where we use blue for +24v and Blue with a white stripe for 0v.

Tony S

This is from dark days of hard wired logic. Different shades of colours caused one of the biggest foul ups I’ve ever seen during a plant commissioning.

Two electricians each terminating opposite ends of 100 pair cables, pity they couldn’t agree on the various shades for the cores. Commissioning was an absolute farce, press a button for drive A and C started. The big problem was all the natural gas valves, it went from being funny to downright bloody dangerous.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
It is all subjective.

I described the color of my brothers house as "titty pink" and of course he relayed that information to his wife. A few weeks later she and a couple of her friends were in the alley looking at the house. Each looked down their respective blouse and said "No, I don't think so."

Status
Not open for further replies.