Celisus vs Farenheit

Status
Not open for further replies.

pfalcon

I grew up with metric.
Both metric and imperial (fractional) are just as easy once you learn them.
True, imperial takes a little longer to sink in, but once it sink in that is half of half of half it can be easier than metric for some things.
Do you have problems with the 12/60/60 set up of clocks? I'm sure you don't.

Yes, especially in March and November. Oh wait, that's DST cause someone doesn't want to maybe miss a TV show!

I'll bet if we all went GMT for 0 hour and converted to a 10-hour day you'd do just as well or better. They might even redefine the second to better match SI units.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
They might even redefine the second to better match SI units.
The second is the official SI unit for time.

Do not confuse decimal vs fractions with Metric (meter, gram) vs Imperial (foot, pound).

Back in 1966, IEEE adopted the recommended procedure, of using SI units followed by other units is parenthesis, in printed material (which is now the NEC methodology).

Just about every machinist I know uses "thousandths of an inch", I guess the term "milli-inch" just never caught on.:roll:

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
That's the US gallon.
The UK gallon is 4.55 litres and it weighs 10lb (pounds weight).
"A pint* of water weighs a pound and a quarter" I learned when I was quite young.
*The Imperial pint is 20oz compared to 16oz for the US pint.

In the US, it was:

"A pint's a pound the world around."

Besoeker

The second is the official SI unit for time.

Do not confuse decimal vs fractions with Metric (meter, gram)
Yes, quite. I've seen metric and decimal synonymously but, of course they are not. One is a system of units, the other a system of numbers. Even if we used hexadecimal, a kilogram would still be 1000g.

Back in 1966, IEEE adopted the recommended procedure, of using SI units followed by other units is parenthesis, in printed material (which is now the NEC methodology).
For engineering here (UK) SI is used pretty much exclusively.
Things like groceries are sometimes dual marked in both metric and Imperial but the metric measure has to be displayed more prominently.
Anything sold by weight (like potatoes or meat) has to be in metric units.I don't entirely agree with this. If a buyer wants to buy in pounds weight and the seller wants to sell by pounds weight that should be a matter of agreement between buyer and seller. Not some interfering bureaucrats from the EU.
At least we've still got the pint (for beer) and our road signs haven't succumbed to their meddling.

pfalcon

Yes, quite. I've seen metric and decimal synonymously but, of course they are not. One is a system of units, the other a system of numbers. Even if we used hexadecimal, a kilogram would still be 1000g.

Not really, it would be 4096g (dec). It would just be written as 1000g (hex).

Besoeker

Not really, it would be 4096g (dec). It would just be written as 1000g (hex).
Droll.
Written in hexadecimal, it would be 3E8.
But I'm sure you got my point. The physical relationship between the mass of the gram and the kilogram does not depend of the number system used.

MarkyMarkNC

For the most part, the metric system is better. But, as for temperature, the fahrenheit system is preferable because it uses a smaller unit than the centigrade system. One degree centigrade is almost two degrees fahrenheit.
Since we now use American units, I think it wise that the Code should get rid of the metric system and use the American system.
~Peter

Agreed. I wouldn't have a huge problem with switching to metric for everything else, but other than freezing being zero, the range in Celsius makes no sense at all. They should have made 100 a temperature that occurs naturally, and not something that is completely unrelated to normal day to day life, like the temperature water boils at. Temperature is the only metric system that I can not make a rough equivalent in my head to in the English system.

Besoeker

Agreed. I wouldn't have a huge problem with switching to metric for everything else, but other than freezing being zero, the range in Celsius makes no sense at all. They should have made 100 a temperature that occurs naturally, and not something that is completely unrelated to normal day to day life, like the temperature water boils at.
Hot tea is part of normal life in UK. To make it requires boiling water. Thus the temperature of boiling water relates to a everyday event here.

Temperature is the only metric system that I can not make a rough equivalent in my head to in the English system.
One way to work it out is that a 5C interval is a 9F interval so, starting at freezing you get:
0C = 32F
5C = 41F
10C = 50F
15C = 59F

etc.

pfalcon

Hot tea is part of normal life in UK. To make it requires boiling water. Thus the temperature of boiling water relates to a everyday event here.

One way to work it out is that a 5C interval is a 9F interval so, starting at freezing you get:
0C = 32F
5C = 41F
10C = 50F
15C = 59F

etc.

I have to go with this one. I'm in the US and drink coffee but remembering 20C is a shy 70F normally keeps me sane on the weather (20/68, 25/77). So give me a low 20s day. A number of science people I know also like it but the standardize on tenths of C. They claim it gives a better resolution for their purposes than either F or 0.1F

Besoeker

A number of science people I know also like it but the standardize on tenths of C. They claim it gives a better resolution for their purposes than either F or 0.1F
Then they are not science people.
Even I, as an engineer, know that 0.1F is finer resolution than 0.1C

I grew up with metric.
Both metric and imperial (fractional) are just as easy once you learn them.
True, imperial takes a little longer to sink in, but once it sink in that is half of half of half it can be easier than metric for some things.
Do you have problems with the 12/60/60 set up of clocks? I'm sure you don't.

Funnny thing is that we (Americans) were quite skillfull in rejecting the values and system of the British Empire through the American Revolution, yet when it comes to units and mesurements we still cling to the "Imperial" system.....:lol:

Besoeker

Better resolution bro, not finer resolution.
Yes, I do mean finer. Finer in the sense of a fine-toothed saw meaning that the teeth are close together.
Finer as the antonym of coarser.
Not finer in the sense of better.
Nor finer as one who levies fines on miscreants.

Last edited:

Besoeker

Funnny thing is that we (Americans) were quite skillfull in rejecting the values and system of the British Empire through the American Revolution, yet when it comes to units and mesurements we still cling to the "Imperial" system.....:lol:
I have a notion that there will be a continuing move towards metric measurements, at least in the engineering fields.
And Imperial doesn't need to be in quotation marks. Imperial is the correct term for that system of measurement units.
:)

Agreed. I wouldn't have a huge problem with switching to metric for everything else, but other than freezing being zero, the range in Celsius makes no sense at all. They should have made 100 a temperature that occurs naturally, and not something that is completely unrelated to normal day to day life, like the temperature water boils at. Temperature is the only metric system that I can not make a rough equivalent in my head to in the English system.

Relationship to water.

1 liter water is 1 Kilogramm
1 liter of water is also 1 decimeter cube.
Water boils at 100 Centigrade and freezes at 0 Centirgrade. (Both freezing and bioling are naturally occuring phenomena.)

Besoeker

Relationship to water.

1 liter water is 1 Kilogramm
1 liter of water is also 1 decimeter cube.
Water boils at 100 Centigrade and freezes at 0 Centirgrade. (Both freezing and bioling are naturally occuring phenomena.)
You might also have added that one cubic metre of water weighs one tonne.
And, for the benefit of pfalcon, I do mean a tonne, not a ton.

pfalcon

Actually, we took most of our values and system directly from the Imperials during the revolution. Most common law in America comes directly from British common law.

Yes, I do mean finer. Finer in the sense of a fine-toothed saw meaning that the teeth are close together.
Finer as the antonym of coarser.
Not finer in the sense of better.
Nor finer as one who levies fines on miscreants.

:) You said finer. I and They said better. 0.1F was too small to be beneficial.

You might also have added that one cubic metre of water weighs one tonne.
And, for the benefit of pfalcon, I do mean a tonne, not a ton.

Preciate that. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.