How did they do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

handy10

In the old days, why and how did electricians wire receptacles with such short wires? Sometimes there is barely an inch of slack to remove the receptacle. The time spent trying to get the wires around the screws must have cost far more than any saving of wire.

John120/240

The theory that I have heard is that you wire the recptacle. Then go to the

attic & pull excess slack up before you tie it in to the fixture. This was when

power was usually in the cieling at fixtures. Is there any truth to the story, I do

not know.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
I think some of it was the thinking (or lack of thinking) that they'd never be back.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
They also used boxes that were more shallow. Stuffing the wires back into the box was a problem. They also didn't think about replacements 50 years into the future.

While we're talking about "the Old Days" why did they drill holes in rafters sized exactly the diameter of the BX ? If the spiral on the metal jacket was going the wrong way they couldn't pull it through the holes or through more than 2 rafters at a time. I've also noticed that holes were drilled angled up on one rafter and down on the next instead of straight across. Anyone know why ? (Trivia question of the day). BTW, I don't know the answers.;)

Occupation
Inspector
They... While we're talking about "the Old Days" why did they drill holes in rafters sized exactly the diameter of the BX ? If the spiral on the metal jacket was going the wrong way they couldn't pull it through the holes or through more than 2 rafters at a time. I've also noticed that holes were drilled angled up on one rafter and down on the next instead of straight across. Anyone know why ? (Trivia question of the day). BTW, I don't know the answers.;)

The installer may not have had power tools to drill the holes, have you ever used or seen a "Brace & Bit". Hand powered drill might be part of the reason not to drill a larger than needed hole and the size of the drill would prevent drilling straight.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The installer may not have had power tools to drill the holes, have you ever used or seen a "Brace & Bit". Hand powered drill might be part of the reason not to drill a larger than needed hole and the size of the drill would prevent drilling straight.
Good point. I forgot about the brace & bit tool.

kwired

Electron manager
Many old devices especially the 'pusbutton' wall switches had terminal screws that faced front of the box. You can actually unwire them before remove the device mounting screws. You would not need very much conductor in the box to easily connect these devices as compared to devices with side terrminals.

Status
Not open for further replies.