Small Appliance circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbradley

If two or more kitchen small appliance circuits exist as specified by 210.52(B)
can island outlets be on the garbage disposal circuit. I beleive the answer is no, but an inspector allowed this.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If two or more kitchen small appliance circuits exist as specified by 210.52(B)
can island outlets be on the garbage disposal circuit. I beleive the answer is no, but an inspector allowed this.

IMO, all sabc, whether you have 2 or 22, must have nothing on it other than what the sabc allows. The disposal is not allowed on that circuit.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I agree with Dennis (for the most part). IMHO the NEC dictates minimum requirements for new construction. When you're dealing with existing construction or remodel work there may be many cases where you won't be able to correct a current code violation or bring your existing installation up to current codes. Unless the existing wiring is so bad or presents an unsafe condition I can't see how an inspector could compel you to rewire to present codes.

I'm not sure if Florida has a "Rehab Code" like we have here in NJ, but under this code (technically speaking) the interior of a house can be gutted down to the studs, new insulation and sheetrock installed and we wouldn't be required to change any of the electric. However, logic dictates that if a HO is remodeling their kitchen and if you have capacity in the existing breaker panel and if you have the capability to run new cabling, then there is no good argument for not bringing their new kitchen up to code.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I think of it this way: Once you place a kitchen countertop receptacle (or a receptacle in one of the other areas listed as SABCs) on a circuit, then that circuit becomes a SABC. At that point, the "no other outlets" rule comes into play. It does not matter how many other SABCs are already installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.