MC cable underground

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I asked because I ran into an installation a collegue had done who I view as beeing very competent. I thought he knew something I did not. I also checked the southwire specs on regular MC and the conductors are not rated for wet locations.

I had always thought the conductors were rated in wet.

raider1

Staff member
Standard MC cable is not listed for use in a wet location.

They do make PVC coated MC cable that is listed for a wet location.

Chris

raider1

Staff member
I was looking further at the Southwire website and noticed an OEM MC cable that has wet location rated conductors that is not the PVC coated MC cable stuff
http://www.southwire.com/ProductCatalog/XTEInterfaceServlet?contentKey=prodcatsheetOEM20

However it does not give a rating for use in wet locations.

Keep in mind that the NEC requires MC cable located in a wet location to meet specific requirements which require a covering or jacket that is impervious to moisture.

Chris

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
this whole method just baffled me and I was trying to find out where this gut got this notion to do so.

Yes i cannot imagine pulling that stuff through a conduit run. I do see someone sleeving a section though.

If the normal everday stuff at HD is not rated in wet then how can you use a section of this under a home and then to a disco on the outside exterior wall of home if it is not wet location rated.

stew

The mc cable i have used has thhn conductors in it but the newer code requirements still do not allow its use in wet locations. The tag that comes on the coil identifies the conductors as thhn. I have mostly a full roll of the pvc covered stuff that can be buried and of course used in wet locations. Some people call it parking garge cable. The problem is that the correct connectors for this are $12.00 each!

Status
Not open for further replies.