4-way switches, 20-amp switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff48356

A couple of questions about switches:

1) Where are 4-way switches actually required by Code? Lately, I've been using them mainly when wiring 2-story houses with long hallways upstairs. I would wire the hall lights to operate from outside each of the bedroom doors (within 5' of any doorway). This usually calls for 3 switches (Two 3-way and one 4-way). Is this required by Code or optional?

2) I always wire the front outdoor outlet to be switched near the entry door, for Christmas lights. The circuit is always 20 amps. Do I need to use a switch rated at 20A?

growler

A couple of questions about switches:

1) Where are 4-way switches actually required by Code? Lately, I've been using them mainly when wiring 2-story houses with long hallways upstairs. I would wire the hall lights to operate from outside each of the bedroom doors (within 5' of any doorway). This usually calls for 3 switches (Two 3-way and one 4-way). Is this required by Code or optional?

2) I always wire the front outdoor outlet to be switched near the entry door, for Christmas lights. The circuit is always 20 amps. Do I need to use a switch rated at 20A?

The use of 4-way switches is a design issue and not required by code.

If a circuit is 20 amp and you are going to switch that circuit then you should have a switch that's rated for 20 amps. I know you say it's switched for Christmas lights but you have no control over what may get plugged into a duplex outlet and whatever it is will run through said switch ( it could easily be more than 15 amps). Your decision to switch this receptacle is also a design issue.

kwired

Electron manager
210.70(A)(2)(c) doesn't specifically mention three way or four way switches, but the use of them is one way to comply with the requirement of controlling lighting outlets from multiple locations in dwelling stairways of more than six risers. This is the only section that requires multiple control locations for specific lighting outlets.

growler

210.70(A)(2)(c) doesn't specifically mention three way or four way switches, but the use of them is one way to comply with the requirement of controlling lighting outlets from multiple locations in dwelling stairways of more than six risers. This is the only section that requires multiple control locations for specific lighting outlets.

Sure you will probably need a 3-way or two when wiring a house but I have worked on many homes that didn't have a single 4-ways switch. Many of these homes are quite large and no 4-ways.

kwired

Electron manager
Sure you will probably need a 3-way or two when wiring a house but I have worked on many homes that didn't have a single 4-ways switch. Many of these homes are quite large and no 4-ways.
I am in agreement with you. I haven't put in all that many four ways myself, and have wired many homes with no four ways at all. Honestly think have overdone the three ways a few times and have cut back on them some over the years. Nobody (ok many) likes having a set of 4-8 switches in close proximity and have to guess what each one is for all the time. I never gang more than 4 switches in same plate, but even after being in my house for close to 15 years I still find myself flipping wrong switch at what few 4 gangs I do have.

Adamjamma

In my own home I have put in a couple four ways to control aset of hall lights... considered a pir but could not find any... however, I have guests in my home rather than just myself... so having several door positions including stairs with night that starts at around 6 pm year round in the tropics...
but for customers... think I have put in a total of seven four way switches... most do not think they need them.. and three way switches are more common. In fact... in many homes they only have the stairs switched along each level.. not from basement to top level.

Status
Not open for further replies.