Thread: Induction Lighting .

Induction Lighting .

I have not had any exposure to induction lighting.I read this morning that the concept dates back to 1891 and working systems became available in 1992.

I am removed from the industry because of retirement but have been seeing mention of this more frequently.If someone would give a broad brush explanation or link of how it works I would appreciate it.I also have a question about ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,is it approved for use in hazardous areas?

TIA

dick

It is basically a fluorescent light bulb with no wires to send electrical current into the tube itself. Instead, you coil a wire around the bulb and connect the coil to a ballast. The magnetic field created in the coil is what causes the bulb to do its fluorescent thing. There is another technology that sends a radio frequency signal into the bulb, but I think that is less commonly used. It is a bit tricky to do a Google or Bing search for induction lighting, without getting either Wikipedia (which I don't trust) or advertisements (which won't help you learn). But try searching for "how things work - induction lighting." Here is one result I found:
    http://www.greenlightinduction.com/h...ting-works.htm
    Charles E. Beck, P.E., Seattle
    Comments based on 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted.

Thanks Charlie.I suppose if the fixture and globe were rated then they would be good for Hazardous areas ..........????

dick