Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PPE - Opening Utility transformer to place split core CT's on the wiring

Quote Originally Posted by aelectricalman View Post
    Attachment 7289

I will have to finesse the wiring a bit. (right side) In fact i may be able to place them on the bus bars above. This will alleviate the finessing i will need to do to get them around the wiring.
    What PPE was used to take the picture?

The primary side shouldn't be an issue, because it shouldn't be open while you are installing the ct's, it would be a whole lot easier and safer to go ahead and just shut the transformer down, and install them on the buss bar. What is this running that is so important that it can't be shut down?

Quote Originally Posted by hillbilly1 View Post
    The primary side shouldn't be an issue, because it shouldn't be open while you are installing the ct's, it would be a whole lot easier and safer to go ahead and just shut the transformer down, and install them on the buss bar. What is this running that is so important that it can't be shut down?
    That water cooler in the lunch room is important. you may be able to pull a hot work permit for that.

me personally, we wouldn't touch that. only the poco has keys for the Pad Mount. and let's say you do get the taps on there ? there where are you running the meter pan, trans S. same conduit ?
    Last edited by spark master; 09-05-12 at 11:11 PM.

Not just yes, but 'heck yes.'

Prractice here would involve apron, gloves, face shield, and extended hot stick- even to just flip the 'off handle.' Even though that handle looks like it was designed to be grabbed by a hand.