Conduit Pull-by

Status
Not open for further replies.

FaradayFF

Hi guys,

Is it a standard practice to re-pull the existing bundle in a conduit when adding a circuit to existing wiring in a conduit? Example, I've got a 2" PVC that carries 3-#14 conductors and I'm adding 1-4/#14 cable. Do I need to re-pull the circuit that is already there?

Thanks,
EE

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
There is no rule. Nor is there one answer. It depends on friction. Either can be done, whichever way is easier and less stressful on the wires.

Are we talking a short pipe up or down to a panel or a long run? I believe you're talking about NM cable (Romex) which suggests it's a sleeve.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Hi guys,

Is it a standard practice to re-pull the existing bundle in a conduit when adding a circuit to existing wiring in a conduit? Example, I've got a 2" PVC that carries 3-#14 conductors and I'm adding 1-4/#14 cable. Do I need to re-pull the circuit that is already there

If you can get a fish tape through the pipe with the existing wires intact and then pull in the new cable without damaging them, go for it. Use lots of Yellow 77. If not, pull everything out and re-pull the old and new back in. One thing I suggest you don't do is pull in a poly string. It will wrap around everything and cut the insulation. A thicker rope may work ok. Best bet is to just use the fish tape to pull with.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Just don't use a pull string for this purpose...if there is much tension and a couple of bends, the string may cut through the insulation on the existing conductors.

Gary11734

Hi guys,

Is it a standard practice to re-pull the existing bundle in a conduit when adding a circuit to existing wiring in a conduit? Example, I've got a 2" PVC that carries 3-#14 conductors and I'm adding 1-4/#14 cable. Do I need to re-pull the circuit that is already there?

Thanks,
EE

After years of trying to sneak another wire in and spend hours having a problem, just pull them all out and re-pull. I would pull and spare string in on the re-pull, too. Of course, making sure that string is not twisted up with the new.

Don't forget to attach the snake or string when you pull the old out!

Status
Not open for further replies.