Mounting height of main ground bus bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volt-Amps

Hello experts,
Is there anything in the code or industry standard that dictates how high the main ground bus bar should be mounted?

IMG_5996 - Copy.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5996.jpg
    IMG_5996.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 8

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We mount them low and high depending on the situation. In an area where someone may walk into it we mount it high otherwise typically about 4' AFF. This one is at 4' since it's tucked away in a corner.

20180815_091915.jpg

nickelec

Interested in hearing what this setup is for I'm assuming a large service , with multiple switches of some sort I'm having a hard time trying to figure it out lol

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Interested in hearing what this setup is for I'm assuming a large service , with multiple switches of some sort I'm having a hard time trying to figure it out lol

He said "main ground bus bar" which is in the photo I posted is used in the service room for multiple services. In the case of the large bar in that photo we have 4-4000 amp services and various transformers and sub stations in the service room that all have GEC's going back to the ground bar.

Volt-Amps

Thanks for your help

Thanks for your help

... I suppose based on your answer, nothing in the code dictates height, it's rather field conditions and finding appropriate location for it.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
... I suppose based on your answer, nothing in the code dictates height, it's rather field conditions and finding appropriate location for it.

Yes, I don't know if these ground bars are even mentioned anywhere in the NEC.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
250.64(D)(1)(3) ??

Or 250.30(A)(6)(c)(2).
As far as I'm aware the NEC does not prohibit one bar to be used for both purposes.
And as far as I'm aware one could bury such groundbars under the earth and it would not clearly violate any NEC requirements. That is unless one is also using the same bar as the 250.94 Intersystem bonding bridge. I'm not aware of anything that prohibits using one such bar for all three purposes, but 250.94 requires it to be 'accessible for connection and inspection.' That still does not put a height requirement on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.