Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fifteen years...

NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)

Fifteen years...

Special ordered a 2 hp fan motor for a good customer. Short version, he decided not to repair the fan. 15 years of storage and we finally found a home for it. I thought for sure that thing was going to be part of.my tombstone. Should I sell it for what new price is or what it was back then?
    Tom
    TBLO

New price plus overhead and storage.

New price. You've carried the inventory charge all this time. It isn't about what you bought it for, it's what it's worth now. Plus, I know some states actually charge tax on any inventory you have on hand at the end of the year. If yours is one, you need to cover that as well.

Fifteen years ago you could have returned the motor, invested the proceedes, & made what ?

How much has the cost of motor gone up ? Heck you have stored it, charge new price.

You are lucky that you knew where it was at after this long.
    Electricity is Color Blind
    Leave the shirt pocket rules in your pocket.

We have stuff that has been repaired and waiting to be picked up that has sat around longer than that. We also have some stuff waiting to be repaired even longer.

I would give it to him and throw in the installation free if it is going to a good home. Closure can be its own reward.
    If Billy Idol or John Denver is on your Ipod go and re-evaluate your life.

You can charge them whatever you wish, you can even pay them to take it from you if you wish, we live in a free country.

In the antique collectors business things are usually worth more now then they were new

Quote Originally Posted by ActionDave View Post
    I would give it to him and throw in the installation free if it is going to a good home. Closure can be its own reward.
    I was thinking the same thing.
    I can build anything you want if you draw a picture of it on the back of a big enough check.

There's no substitute for hard work....but that doesn't mean I'm going to give up trying to find one.

John Childress
    Electrical Inspector
    IAEI / CEI / C10
    Certified Electrical Inspector

Quote Originally Posted by ActionDave View Post
    We have stuff that has been repaired and waiting to be picked up that has sat around longer than that. We also have some stuff waiting to be repaired even longer.

I would do it for free and rewire his whole house for nothing. I'm even thinking I should start paying my customers when I finish their work

Why would you give something away like that for free, when he's been waiting 15 years to make some money on it?

I'll take my closure with a check, thanks.

new price, if you're lucky will cover lost interest and inflation.