KVA calculation for India

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonyq978

Hey folks,

I have never had to ever calculate the KVA for a floor space never mind for a space in India. So my question is I have an office space in India where they use single phase 230v and three phase 415v. All I was given by my counter parts out there is that the space is 18,100 sqft. It just a typical office space if that makes a difference. Any help is greatly appreciated!

ron

There are some variables you need to fill in. If the voltage is 415/240V and the square footage is 18,100 sqft, what do you want to know?

It is no difference than here in the US.

How would you do it here in the US with 208/120V and we can help you transition it to 415/240V.

Julius Right

Occupation
Electrical Engineer Power Station Physical Design Retired
Usually you need 5 W/sqft for HVAC and 31/2 VA/sqft for lighting that means 150 kW [rough appreciation]

Besoeker

There are some variables you need to fill in. If the voltage is 415/240V and the square footage is 18,100 sqft, what do you want to know?

It is no difference than here in the US.

I suspect that it probably is quite different.

Adamjamma

from what an Indian friend of mine told me when talking with him yesterday, you need to be sure if the three phase is actually available because many places are like the UK in that they only supply with the one voltage. He said that for the most part he uses the BS7671 calculations due to local wire, etc, rather than using the NEC tables as metric wires, metric conduits, etc, are most common. But he was busy and could not send me the load calcs for an office, just that he normally starts with his old IEC book from around 98... then uses the calc tables for wiring from his 16th edition of the BS7671... for wire sizing etc...then goes to see what he can buy locally for parts, as the location in India will have some bearings as well.
He told me that working in London is way easier than working in India because the few inspectors he deals with here are honest and know something about what they are looking at as well.

He is always busy working for the Indian and Sikh communities here. Has all four sons now working for him as well.

Sahib

Just like NEC, there is Indian NEC. You may get a copy of it. Details are given in it to work out load requirement in Watts/Sq.m and also suggestions to take into account manufacturer recommendations for special loads. You may also have to install power factor correction equipment to avoid penalty from POCO. Depending size of your load, POCO will provide you 3 phase supply and you have bear the cost for it .......naturally.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.