Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
If you don't mind, lets revisit an area where I still find some confusion:
Storable Pools.
The NEC defines a storable pool as:
Storable Swimming, Wading, or Immersion Pool. Those that are constructed on or above the ground and are capable of holding water to a maximum depth of 1.0 m (42 in.), or a pool with nonmetallic, molded polymeric walls or inflatable fabric walls regardless of dimension.

So, as an inspector, you go to a location and find a pool with a water depth of 48" (not unusual, I find)....

How do you make the decision as to it's being a "storable pool" ?

If it has an inflatable fabric wall it appears from the definition to be "storable" (anybody ever see one of these ? )

Now, playing with the punctuation, is it also "storable" if:
(a) it has non-metallic walls ?
OR must they be:
(b) non-metallic, molded polymeric walls ?

If it's (b).. how do you identify a "molded polymeric wall" pool.
I have done on-line research and have no clue as to such critter.

Any guide as to "storable" vs "permanent" ???

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
By that definition I would say it is storable since the depth has no meaning for a pool with inflatable walls. I read it as any of the three choices makes it storable.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The whole storable pool thing can be a joke as many pools meet the definition but are left up all year long.

If the pool can hold water of a depth greater than 42 inches, it is a permanently installed pool; 680.2-Permanently Installed Swimming....
The pool safety act requires a barrier around the pool of at least 48 inches tall; why the pool is 48 inches tall, so that a supplimental barrier would no be required, and the ladder shall be removeable in some fashion.

Hendrix

Storable Pools.
Storable Swimming, Wading, or Immersion Pool. Those that are constructed on or above the ground and are capable of holding water to a maximum depth of 1.0 m (42 in.), or a pool with nonmetallic, molded polymeric walls or inflatable fabric walls regardless of dimension.

So, as an inspector, you go to a location and find a pool with a water depth of 48" (not unusual, I find)....

If it has an inflatable fabric wall it appears from the definition to be "storable" (anybody ever see one of these ? )

OR must they be:
(b) non-metallic, molded polymeric walls ?

If it's (b).. how do you identify a "molded polymeric wall" pool.

If you have one of those pools that you see an elephant in, no matter how large, chances are it's storable.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
If it cannot hold more than 42" of water or if it has walls that are"nonmetallic, molded polymeric walls or inflatable fabric walls regardless of dimension" then it is a storable pool. As soon as it can hold more than 42" of water, no mater what its construction is, it is no longer a storable pool.

iwire

Staff member
If it cannot hold more than 42" of water or if it has walls that are"nonmetallic, molded polymeric walls or inflatable fabric walls regardless of dimension" then it is a storable pool. As soon as it can hold more than 42" of water, no mater what its construction is, it is no longer a storable pool.

I don't see that with these words in the section.

regardless of dimension.

Sound to me 72" depth with inflatable walls would be a storable pool.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I don't see that with these words in the section.

By the Storable pools definitions I would agree but what about the definition of permanently installed pools? That seems to set the threshold at 42".

Permanently Installed Swimming, Wading, Immersion, and Therapeutic Pools. Those that are constructed in the ground or partially in the ground, and all others capable of holding water in a depth greater than 1.0 m (42 in.), and all pools installed inside of a building, regardless of water depth, whether or not served by electrical circuits of any nature.

iwire

Staff member
By the Storable pools definitions I would agree but what about the definition of permanently installed pools? That seems to set the threshold at 42".

It is in conflict with the other definition in more places than you highlighted.

and all pools installed inside of a building, regardless of water depth, whether or not served by electrical circuits of any nature.

So if I happen to set up a Wal-mart wading pool in my basement it is a 'permanently installed pool?

Ben35moWadingPool01.jpg

Seems pretty messed up to me.

bphgravity

Like it or not, some things must be enforced as written, some things are enforced by intent of what is written.

So for example, I am concerned about how storable pools are INTENED to be used and not how someone MAY use it.

On the other hand, if a single family dwelling is being used as a place of business, I have to enforce the actual use and not what was originally intended for the struture.

Its a fine line sometimes...

iwire

Staff member
Like it or not, some things must be enforced as written, some things are enforced by intent of what is written.

But it is written two ways ........... which way are we enforcing it?

And who is the NEC to decide a wading pool with no electrical connections is a permanently installed pool?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Yes, looking at it a again that is correct based on the definition of a storable pool. It also correct that the two definitions in 600.2 are in conflict with each other and based on the defintion "permanently installed" any pool that can hold more than 42" of water is "permanently installed".

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Storable Pools.

I think it has to be on or above ground and meet one of the three other criteria mentioned.

Most pools are made this way. think about the little wading pools you blow up for your kids to sit in.

OR must they be:
(b) non-metallic, molded polymeric walls ? If it's (b).. how do you identify a "molded polymeric wall" pool.

Polymeric just means plastic. IMO it can have metallic ribs as long as the wall itself is made of plastic.

the term storable is well defined in this article. is the term permanent also defined? Does the code state a pool has to be one or the other?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.