emergency lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having trouble finding the code reference on this subject. I'm at a hospital. Our electrical room lighting is on a circuit that is connected to the backup generator panels. The building originally had battery packs installed in the florescent fixtures. The new LED lamps are not compatible with the battery packs. Where I am already on an emergency circuit, am I even required to have the battery packs? My gut says that I am since the building was originally done this way but I can't find anything on the subject.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
You usually need battery backup lights at the generator and ATS locations, in case the generator doesn't start.

But I'm not sure why the entire building would be like that.

You are just required to have emergency lighting with an emergency source defined by NEC 700.2. The emergency source can be generator backup supplying an emergency ATS and Panel or battery backup source.

Caution, if the source is a generator, ensure it is the Emergency source, not legally required or optional Standby. Also verify there is a separate ATS for the emergency source. See NEC 700, 701, and 702. Also IBC 2702.2 for further clarification.:D

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
do you know where i can find that in the code book? I just want a reference so i know exactly what i need to do in each room
It is not an NEC requirement, it is in chapter 7 of NFPA 110.

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
You are just required to have emergency lighting with an emergency source defined by NEC 700.2. The emergency source can be generator backup supplying an emergency ATS and Panel or battery backup source.

Caution, if the source is a generator, ensure it is the Emergency source, not legally required or optional Standby. Also verify there is a separate ATS for the emergency source. See NEC 700, 701, and 702. Also IBC 2702.2 for further clarification.:D

The OP is talking about a hospital scenario under article 517 which has its own requirements, see Part III of article 517.

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I have not seen NFPA 101 adopted by jurisdictions as clearly as the Building Code is. Where the Building Code covers this topic
Ron, it is NFPA 110 and it is not usually adopted either, (I actually don't know of it ever being specifically adopted) but it seems as though some areas reference other standards or use pieces of them.

Roger

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Ron, it is NFPA 110 and it is not usually adopted either, (I actually don't know of it ever being specifically adopted) but it seems as though some areas reference other standards or use pieces of them.

Roger

I think Ron is talking about general requirements for emergency lighting, while Roger & I are both referring to the specific requirement for battery backup at the generator and ATS locations:

[FONT=&quot]NFPA 110:
7.3  Lighting.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]7.3.1  The Level 1 or Level 2 EPS equipment location(s) shall be provided with battery-powered emergency lighting. This requirement shall not apply to units located outdoors in enclosures that do not include walk-in access.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]7.3.2  The emergency lighting charging system and the normal service room lighting shall be supplied from the load side of the transfer switch.

So the EPS location (either the ATS or the generator location) requires BOTH battery backup and generator power, while other locations only require either battery backup, or a life safety generator circuit.

[/FONT]

packersparky

Occupation
Inspector

Roger

Look at IBC Chapter 27 section 2702.1.2
Around here this section taken to mean that NFPA 110 and 111 are enforceable.

Status
Not open for further replies.