314.28 How many conductors in LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

darren12

Hello,
I was looking into the correct way to verify that i have chosen the correct size/type of conduit fitting. I have 3 500kcmil XHHW that will be installed inside trade size 3 EMT. I want to use some LBs to make a turn but i am not reading correctly how to verify sizing.
Thanks for any help,

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Hello,
I was looking into the correct way to verify that i have chosen the correct size/type of conduit fitting. I have 3 500kcmil XHHW that will be installed inside trade size 3 EMT. I want to use some LBs to make a turn but i am not reading correctly how to verify sizing.
Thanks for any help,

Tempted to ask you what code you are thinking, but....

314.28(A)(2) 3" is the minimum conduit size, so 18" between openings. Unless the conduit body is listed per 31`4.28(A)(3)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Since you have an LB you would have an angle pull with conductors larger than #6 so your LB needs to be sized like a pull box with 6X the trade size of the raceway. If it's meets the second reference in Strathead's post that would allow less than the 6X dimension.

darren12

Since you have an LB you would have an angle pull with conductors larger than #6 so your LB needs to be sized like a pull box with 6X the trade size of the raceway. If it's meets the second reference in Strathead's post that would allow less than the 6X dimension.

Yes i was looking in 314.28. I have not bought the LBs yet i guess i will have to ask for specification sheets of the LB to attempt to get the dimensions to see if it is 6X of 3'' which equals 18''. I don't think i have ever seen a 3'' LB that long, i have seen many 3'' BUB's that are 18''

I figured that there was a cubic inches calculations that could be performed to check for sizing of conduit fittings.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yes i was looking in 314.28. I have not bought the LBs yet i guess i will have to ask for specification sheets of the LB to attempt to get the dimensions to see if it is 6X of 3'' which equals 18''. I don't think i have ever seen a 3'' LB that long, i have seen many 3'' BUB's that are 18''

I figured that there was a cubic inches calculations that could be performed to check for sizing of conduit fittings.

If you look inside the LB it should tell you the maximum number and size of conductor permitted.

Status
Not open for further replies.