Thread: 277/480 Wye connected phase colors.

277/480 Wye connected phase colors.

Hi everyone, I would like to understand litter more about transformers, here is my question, I see that the 277/480 Wye connected phase colors are Brown, Purple, Yellow, Gray for grounded, but why some 277/480 Wye system have the phase B called High leg Delta and colored in Orange? so far the only delta system I know have (120/240 and is called Delta High leg) why to the phase in a Wye system a delta ? hope i explain this right, sorry for my typing I'm learning the language.

It is not a high leg on a wye system, you basically can use any color you want to identify the system, orange replaced purple as a somewhat industry standard ( here we go again ) Orange is easier to distinguish from brown than purple is. Some states and localities still use YBP, but most now use BOY.

Quote Originally Posted by hillbilly1 View Post
    It is not a high leg on a Wye system, you basically can use any color you want to identify the system, orange replaced purple as a somewhat industry standard ( here we go again ) Orange is easier to distinguish from brown than purple is. Some states and localities still use YBP, but most now use BOY.
    Thank you, I got very confused today at work when I taped a feeders to main wires in a gutter with a 277/480 system and I saw a phase in orange, I used purple tape to identify my phase but I will change it to orange on Monday...Thank you !!

have a nice weekend !!

It was around the early to mid 80's when the change happened.

I understand BOY has been around for a long time, but I will not use orange for any wire that isn't on a high leg. I prefer RYB.

Quote Originally Posted by Hv&Lv View Post
    I understand BOY has been around for a long time, but I will not use orange for any wire that isn't on a high leg. I prefer RYB.
    Unless of course you work in a building that is already designated as boy (277/480) and brb (120/208). You must maintain the designated color code. In some cases it may even be in the spec for the job or facility or property maintenance.
    Brian H. " No, I think you mis-understood. I said I'm an electrician, not a magician."