Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello - I need to install a sub panel in the basement for a
washer
electic dryer
circuit for lights
circuit for outlets
bathroom outlet
i didn't really want to install a 100 amp sub panel with a main breaker for this. What do most do for something smaller that has a main breaker? Thank you

growler

washer
electic dryer
circuit for lights
circuit for outlets
bathroom outlet
i didn't really want to install a 100 amp sub panel with a main breaker for this. What do most do for something smaller that has a main breaker? Thank you

I'm not sure what you are asking. You don't need a main breaker in the sub panel if you don't want one.

I normally use a 100 amp main lug panel but run smaller feeder cable and protect it at say 80 amps. #2 AL, SER is not that expensive but is no longer good for 100 amps on a sub panel but can be used for 80-90 amps.

It always good to have a little extra in the basement for whatever they put in there next.

I'm not sure what you are asking. You don't need a main breaker in the sub panel if you don't want one.

I normally use a 100 amp main lug panel but run smaller feeder cable and protect it at say 80 amps. #2 AL, SER is not that expensive but is no longer good for 100 amps on a sub panel but can be used for 80-90 amps.

It always good to have a little extra in the basement for whatever they put in there next.

:thumbsup: One of those 6/12 panels is only like $20 cheaper than a 20/40 100amp, and I find them kinda small and annoying. I've used #4 and even #6 service for a sub but even #2 at 90 amps is pretty cheap.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
washer
electic dryer
circuit for lights
circuit for outlets
bathroom outlet

You can often get a 100A panel with a main and a bunch of 20A Cbs at one of the big box stores for less than what it would cost you to get a 100A panel MLO panel. Here is a 100A load center with main, a 2 pole and 5 single pole breakers. $75. if you do not want to feed it with wire rated for 100A you can always use a lesser rated feeder breaker and smaller wire.

Capture.JPG

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Ok I thought I needed a main breaker since it wasn’t in sight of the main box.

As long as it is in the same structure you are good with a main lug. For instance in a detached garage you would have the same requirements as a service-max 6 throws (breakers usually) or one main required

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
There is no such requirement. These days it is usually more cost effective to buy load centers with a main breaker since they outsell MLO panels by a lot.

You spared me from saying it. Yes! :happyyes::happyyes: A 20/40 with a 100amp main is only slightly more expensive then a small 6/12 which will get full anyways and sucks to work in. Never understood why people force themselves to buy something which isn't worth half of what you pay.

OP: The 100amp main in many panels will take #6 and over.

Status
Not open for further replies.