GFCI PROTECTION

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I was asking Rob, whether it was a local requirement like on a outside single recep. for a pool. I know all singles don't have to be twist lock. But thanks for your input.:p

I was only referring to the question given in the OP:

I am wiring an addition, and in the laundry room there is a sink right beside a stackable washer/dryer, a 220 volt 20 amp 4-wire for the dryer and a 120 volt 20 amp circuit for each washer, there is also a undercabinet light that is being installed right above the sink, since all these items are going to be extremely close to the sink do any of these need to be gfci protected?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The exception to dedicated space receptacles was removed in 2008, some areas of the country that are still on the 2005 NEC can still use it.

We're under the 2008 but a local State amendment still allows the use of non-GFCI protected single receptacles in the dedicated spaces that Hurk mentioned. Basically they have kept the 2005 exception intact.

mpd

We're under the 2008 but a local State amendment still allows the use of non-GFCI protected single receptacles in the dedicated spaces that Hurk mentioned. Basically they have kept the 2005 exception intact.

I don't have my 2005 NEC at with me, was there an exception for single receptacles for a dedicated appliance in a laundry room within 6ft of the laundry sinks? I thought the exceptions were for garages and basements

RICK NAPIER

This is from the UCC and does not alter 2008 NEC 210.8 a (7) which deals with laundry sinks. So even in NJ they would need to be GFI protected. Twist lock receptacles are not required to meet the exceptions.

? 5:23-3.16 Electrical subcode
3. Chapter 2 of the electrical subcode, entitled "Wiring and Protection," is amended as follows:
i. Section 210.8 (A)(2) and (5) of Article 210, entitled Branch Circuits, is deleted; it is replaced​
by Section 210.8(A)(2) and (5) and the exceptions in the National Electrical Code 2005 as follows:

"210.8(A)(2) - Garages, and also accessory buildings that have a floor located at or below
grade level not intended as habitable rooms and limited to storage areas, work areas, and areas of
similar use.
Exception No. 1 to (2) - Receptacles that are not readily accessible.
Exception No. 2 to (2) - A single receptacle or a duplex receptacle for two appliances located
within dedicated space for each appliance that, in normal use, is not easily moved from one place
to another and that is cord-and-plug connected in accordance with 400.7(A)(6), (A)7, or (A)(8).
Receptacles installed under the exceptions to 210.8(A)(2) shall not be considered as meeting
the requirements of 210.52(G).
210.8(A)(5) - Unfinished basements: For purposes of this section, unfinished basements are
defined as portions or areas of the basement not intended as habitable rooms and limited to
storage areas, work areas, and the like.
Exception No. 1 to (5) - Receptacles that are not readily accessible.
Exception No. 2 to (5) - A single receptacle or a duplex receptacle for two appliances located
within dedicated space for each appliance that, in normal use, is not easily moved from one place
to another and that is cord-and-plug connected in accordance with 400.7(A)(6), (A)7, or (A)(8).
Exception No. 3 to (5) - A receptacle supplying only a permanently installed fire alarm or​
burglar alarm system shall not be required to have ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection."

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
This is from the UCC and does not alter 2008 NEC 210.8 a (7) which deals with laundry sinks. So even in NJ they would need to be GFI protected. Twist lock receptacles are not required to meet the exceptions.

I was thinking of an unfinished basement with a laundry sink. Why would a single receptacle in a dedicated space require GFCI protection? Sink or no sink the location in itself requires GFCI protection. The exception alleviates that requirement.

RICK NAPIER

I think that even in an unfinished basement the requirements for a GFI by laundry sinks would apply since the exceptions do not apply to A2 and A5 not A7. Again this is only a NJ issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.