Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UV damage and ladders

UV damage and ladders

I have noticed that the sun can be brutal to ladders.
    What steps do others take to protect ladders and get the most use out of an investment?
    I was reading about periodically coat ladders with polyurethane, wax or acrylic paint, to combat the effects of sunlight on the ladder.
    still commited to non violence and passive resistance

I have no experience with polyutherane or wax, but I do know never ever paint a ladder. The

reasoning is that the paint will make a defect in the ladder harder to see. Painting your company

name or such in stencils on the ladder should not be a problem.
    Electricity is Color Blind
    Leave the shirt pocket rules in your pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by John120/240 View Post
    I have no experience with polyutherane or wax, but I do know never ever paint a ladder. The

reasoning is that the paint will make a defect in the ladder harder to see. Painting your company

name or such in stencils on the ladder should not be a problem.
    It was my assumption that painting was a no no also. I was surprised that Ehow suggested it.

Quote Originally Posted by JJWalecka View Post
    It was my assumption that painting was a no no also. I was surprised that Ehow suggested it.
    painting a ladder violates OSHA, i believe.

Ehow violates common sense.

edit:
    werner suggests painting. i was taught in my apprenticeship painting with anything
    other than clear was verboten, violated OSHA regulations.

i still hold that Ehow violates common sense. i'm not moving off that position.
    Last edited by Fulthrotl; 09-10-12 at 01:33 AM.
    “Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day;
    teach that person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.”

Quote Originally Posted by Fulthrotl View Post
    painting a ladder violates OSHA, i believe.

Ehow violates common sense.

edit:
    werner suggests painting. i was taught in my apprenticeship painting with anything
    other than clear was verboten, violated OSHA regulations.

i still hold that Ehow violates common sense. i'm not moving off that position.
    My understanding is the OSHA issue with ladders is painting over the warning labels and instructions. As long as you don't paint over the labels, it is not an OSHA issue. YMMV.
    Bob

Fiberglass ladders actually have an outer layer of PVC, put there specificallyto protect the fiberglass from both mechanical and sun damage.

There's no rule against painting a ladder; lables that are missing, or illegible are a favorite 'violation' of the seminar-trained crowd. Note - again- that OSHA does not have jurisdiction over the self-employed.

I am personally convinced that this whole 'don't paint the ladder' cant is a rumor created by theives to make it easier for them to ply their trade.

Note also that there is no requirement that ladders be any particular color. Paint them pink, or camo, for all it matters.

Just received an email from customer support at Werner ladders. The following is a quote from the email.

"The Werner Co. does recommend that you refinish or recoat a fiberglass ladder.......First you will go over the surface of the ladder with a light abrasive, then wash the ladder. Then using one of the three acceptable coatings, you will cover the fiberglass. Anything with a colored pigment in it will add protection to from the UV rays, however it is not necessary. Either way, recoating the ladder will result in keeping the fiberglass particles from irritating your skin, and prolong the life of the ladder. Depending on where the ladder is stored, I do recommend doing this at least once, if not twice a year to maintain the ladder."

I couldn't attach the file. Google Werner fiberglass technical manual for more info. Check out page 5.
    News to me.

I recently just took an osha-30 course and this is how osha stands on painting ladders- you cant paint labels but you can only paint 1 side of the ladders. so if there is a crack or some other flaw you can still see it from the inside part of the ladder.If you still dont get it I can try to scan the article out of my osha book.That leads me too another Question how many shops out there still use WOOD ladders.. we still have a few floating around I hate them luckily for me they are not allowed in hospitals as wood can have a lot of things living and hiding in it.

I believe there was another thread on this a few years back? As far as wood ladders, there are some good ones out there if so inclined. I believe San Francisco Fire Dept has their own ladder shop, and they use them exclusively...