Raceway Fill of Class 2 & 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Hi Everyone,

I wondered about the raceway fill requirements for circuit Class 2 & 3 conductors (Article 725), I found this old (and closed thread) here:
https://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=179861

The conclusion of the thread is that the fill requirement of the .22 sections in chapter 3 are unchanged.

But what is about 725.139(D)(1) -> 800.10(B) ???

Best regards,
Lukas

800.10(B) ???

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It seems that 800.110(B) applies and fill does not apply

(B) Raceway Fill for Communications Wires and Cables. The
raceway fill requirements of Chapters 3 and 9 shall not apply to
communications wires and cables.

but because of 725.139(D)(1) this applies only if there is at least one communication circuit of Article 800 in the same raceway, correct?

In my situation I have an industrial HVAC system and the supplier loaded LFNC with Class 2 circuits completely full, but as long as there is no LAN cable or similiar 725.139(D)(1) does not apply and therefore 800.110(B) does not allow this fill?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
but because of 725.139(D)(1) this applies only if there is at least one communication circuit of Article 800 in the same raceway, correct?

In my situation I have an industrial HVAC system and the supplier loaded LFNC with Class 2 circuits completely full, but as long as there is no LAN cable or similiar 725.139(D)(1) does not apply and therefore 800.110(B) does not allow this fill?

IMO, if you have art. 800 cable only in a raceway then 110(B) applies.

Correct, but because of 725.139(D)(1), the Class 2 & 3 circuits are regarded as art. 800 circuits as soon as they are placed in a raceway together with an existing art. 800 cable, without the need to fullfill the circuit requirements of art. 800, only the installation requirements (like 800.110(B))...

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Correct, but because of 725.139(D)(1), the Class 2 & 3 circuits are regarded as art. 800 circuits as soon as they are placed in a raceway together with an existing art. 800 cable, without the need to fullfill the circuit requirements of art. 800, only the installation requirements (like 800.110(B))...

I tend to agree with you but I am not sure that everyone will see it that way. It is a good question.:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.