Generator Interlock Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael15956

Looking for an generator interlock kit for a new 200 amp Square D Panel, model QOC42US

Looked on line and found a few kits anywhere from $60 to $150.

Would like to buy a good one, any suggestion?

Looking for an generator interlock kit for a new 200 amp Square D Panel, model QOC42US

You can get the square D one which is probably the way to go if this is getting inspected, unless you know the inspector is fine with an aftermarket one. As you noticed there a couple aftermarket companies, IIRC one is quite a bit cheaper. I have used the cheaper one and it is totally fine.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I would use the Square D one listed for use with that panel. Aren't the Sq D kits about $50 from Home Depot?

GerryB

I have used National Ram Electronics, $69, quick delivery. Comes with a drill bit and stickers for the panel, also a tie wrap to hold down the breaker. (that's new, I didn't bother using it last time). No complaints, probably did 15 or so over the years, only one I recall being inspected, no problem. Made out of Bakelite. The brand name one are probably better and made of steel.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
A quick google shows the homeline interlock is between $50 and $70. I would go with that if its about the same price. I think the value in those aftermarket ones is you can get them for just about any obsolete panel.

Some of the one from my supplier are over $150

sammyelectric

A similar question was posted and didnt get any aswer.
What does the NEC requires for a generator interlock? Does it have to be a listed device or a custom made will comply?

PatN

Stick with the QO kit..

Stick with the QO kit..

The generator interlock kit part number for the QOC42S cover is QOCGK2C . In my area we install these in conjunction with the Reliance PBN-30 or 50 inlet on vertically every new home.

To paraphrase NEC 702.5; Transfer equipment shall be suitable for the intended use and designed and installed so as to prevent the inadvertent interconnection of normal and alternate sources of power.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
IMHO, I would go with the Sq D listed unit. That way you don’t have to worry whether the EI will accept it. BTW, not all HD’s carry this model. I usually have to order them online.

Status
Not open for further replies.