Thread: Generac Generator won't turn over

Generac Generator won't turn over

I'm stumped so I thought I'd come to the experts. I have a Generac 15K Gasoline Portable generator. It has a "rocker" type switch that you push up to start and down to shut it down. I went out to do my monthly warm up of the generator, pushed the rocker button up and ........ nothing? Not a click, nothing. I thought it might be a dead battery so I replaced it, still nothing. I checked all the connections and everything seems clean and tight. This generator is basically new. I purchased it new a couple years ago and have never used it except to run it for an hour or so every month. I read where someone posted you can take a screwdriver and jump across the starter solenoid. I did that and the starter did spin but wasn't engaging the motor. I suspect something has to engage the starter to the motor before it will turn the motor over?

I'm at a loss of what to do. I live in the Mtns of Colorado and it'll be a 150 mile round trip to take it to Colorado Springs to have it looked at.

If you guys have any ideas of what I should try, and or replace, please let me know.

Thanks,
    Brad

I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.

This site is designed for:

• Contractors
    • Electricians
    • Engineers
    • Inspectors
    • Instructors
    • Other electrically related individuals

* This NECĀ® Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.
    If you feel this action to be in error, feel free to contact me via PM to explain.

A reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking the button at the bottom left corner of the post.