class 1 div 2 wiring methods

Status
Not open for further replies.

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
art 501.10B3 nonincendive field wiring. Now basically this is any wiring not associated with the operation of the control wiring or control drawings . SO basically all the wiring on control drawings needs to be class 1 div 1 wiring methods and anything else not on control drawing in a class 1 div 2 can be nonincendive field wiring or regular wiring merhods?? im trying to understand the dos and donts in class 1 div 2. The class 1 div 1 is easier to understand because everything needs to be class 1 div 1 methods

I asked exact or similar question on other thread I hope Im not violating forum rules.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Why would anything in a Class 1 division 2 area require wiring methods that are only required in class 1 Division 1 areas?

I'm not entirely sure what points you are trying to actually ask. Non incentive wiring has its own rules just like intrinsically safe wiring.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
W
art 501.10B3 nonincendive field wiring. Now basically this is any wiring not associated with the operation of the control wiring or control drawings . SO basically all the wiring on control drawings needs to be class 1 div 1 wiring methods and anything else not on control drawing in a class 1 div 2 can be nonincendive field wiring or regular wiring merhods?? im trying to understand the dos and donts in class 1 div 2. The class 1 div 1 is easier to understand because everything needs to be class 1 div 1 methods

I asked exact or similar question on other thread I hope Im not violating forum rules.
You need to re-read the definition of control drawing and the various nonincendive definitions in Article 100. It wouldn’t hurt to familiarize yourself with ANSI/ISA-12.12.0 either. Your current understanding of nonincendive applications is erroneous.

Nonincendive
refers to low energy systems that only lend themselves to control systems or instrumentation; power, lighting, etc., wiring is not compatible with it.

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
ONce I figure out how to re- structure my question and not sound erroneous I will ask again. The question made sense in my mind.

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
I think I have my question ready and has nothing to do with top post Class 1 Div 1 is more stringent than Div 2. but does article 501.10 B 4 Boxes and fittings says you can use general-purpose enclosures and fittings — unless the enclosure contains make-and-break contacts for meters, instruments, and relays [501.105(B)(1)], switches, circuit breakers, or motor controllers [501.115(B)(1)], signaling, alarm, remote-control, or communications systems [501.150(B)].

Is this correct for class 1 div 2 or am I reading it wrong?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I think I have my question ready and has nothing to do with top post Class 1 Div 1 is more stringent than Div 2. but does article 501.10 B 4 Boxes and fittings says you can use general-purpose enclosures and fittings — unless the enclosure contains make-and-break contacts for meters, instruments, and relays [501.105(B)(1)], switches, circuit breakers, or motor controllers [501.115(B)(1)], signaling, alarm, remote-control, or communications systems [501.150(B)].

Is this correct for class 1 div 2 or am I reading it wrong?
You may be citing the wrong Sections depending on what edition of the Code you are referencing. There are also a few internal exceptions. That said you, are basically correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.