Solar system installations

Status
Not open for further replies.

c_picard

This is a familiar debate, eh?
In my experience electricians that are open to learning will pick up Solar fairly easily.

IMO anything you need to pull an electrical permit for, an electrician should be installing. Try getting your insurance company to pay for fire damage when the roofers' wiring skills aren't that great.

Even plugging in modules involves knowledge of the NEC...How far apart should the tie-wraps be?

NO offense to the roofers, but I'd much rather have a competent electrician drill holes in my roof, than a competent roofer wire my house.

c_picard

Don't have a code book handy, but check in 690.31(?)

I believe in states that USE is installed as multiconductor UF, Art. 340?
Which then points you to 334, Type NM.

I think this is typical of the code to refer flexible wiring to the NM article for securing and supporting.

BTW I've never seen a module that made it possible to secure the leads within 12" of the factory j-box...

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Don't have a code book handy, but check in 690.31(?)

Yeah, I did, in the 2011 NEC, before submitting my last post. Also checked on USE in 338 (which, interestingly, does not mention 690 even in an informational note).

I believe in states that USE is installed as multiconductor UF, Art. 340?
Which then points you to 334, Type NM.
Didn't find any such reference in the 2011 code.

I kind of hesitate to go on, but the reason I asked about this is that at some point earlier in this thread I had considered saying "Installing a solar array doesn't require any particular knowledge of the NEC." I decided that was probably going too far. But since someone made the counterpoint, now I sort of want to say that. :cool:

BTW I've never seen a module that made it possible to secure the leads within 12" of the factory j-box...
You could use clips. Actually, I keep meaning to use clips more, but unlike tie-wraps the clips don't have a special place in my tool-belt so they keep getting left on the ground.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Installing and installing correctly.....two different things.

I meant installing correctly. And I meant only the array, not conduit runs to the inverter or tie-in or other arrays or anything else beyond the arrays. But like I said, it is going a little too far to say that no NEC knowledge is required.

revolt

A solar company in NJ was just fined $8,000 and the EC $5,000 plus loss of license for 6 months for having the solar company do the install of the PV panels

quogueelectric

Solar system inslall

Solar system inslall

The entire installation is electricians work where I am and we have installed a few megawatts worth at this point.

But you can't look to the NEC for guidance here, you must go to your local rules.

The final responsibility depends entirely on the AHJ where in many instances is the DOE for a power plant install they do not have to go by local jurisdiction and licenses and all of that goes right out of the window.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
A solar company in NJ was just fined $8,000 and the EC $5,000 plus loss of license for 6 months for having the solar company do the install of the PV panels
I'd really like to see the details in that case. Can you cite a source? It could have real world importance to me.

revolt

http://www.state.nj.us/dca/codes/ccc_art/articles/ccc_spring2010.pdf

GGUN, I spoke with the Division of Consumer Affairs today and they confirmed that a company could be fined for not having an electrical license and installing PV panels. Up to $10,000 1st offense. They requested I contact the Board of Electrical Contractors for the particular fine I spoke about. I called but could not get thru. It will show up on the monthly minutes when they are published on their web site. The link above is a publications sent to NJ sub code officials clearly stating on page 10 that only licensed electrical contracting companies can install PV systems. The DCA contact I spoke with today said he is starting to get calls from ECs asking if they are liable for the work the solar companies are doing and he is telling them that they are liable. Get back with any other questions and I'll try to keep up with it. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.