Permissible to use 240V circuit to power both a 240V outlet & 120V MWB outlets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon456

A buddy is making some changes to his workshop: he is adding a new work bench along a back wall. He wants several 120V outlets along the wall above the workbench for operating various small power tools. He's the only one working there, so he would only be using one tool at a time. The multiple outlets would be for convenience. He is also contemplating a single 240V outlet nearby that he might use to run a larger stationary tool like a table saw; once again, he would not be running any other tools at the same time. Rather then running two separate circuits (120 & 240) from the breaker panel to the back of the shop, he wanted to know if a single circuit can be run from the 240V/20A breaker to the 240V outlet, and then split off two 120V multiwire branch circuits to feed the 120V outlets along the work bench.

Jon456

Thanks. I couldn't think of any violation by doing that, but wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something.

Jon456

I would check 210.23(A)(1)&(2)
Thanks Dennis for the additional reference.

210.23(A)(1) should not be an issue as I'm sure he won't be running any bench power tools exceeding 15A. In fact, I believe he is planning on installing only 15A receptacles along the work bench.

I'm a little unsure about 210.23(A)(2). My understanding of "Utilization Equipment Fastened in Place" would be something bolted down and permanently wired. When I stated that he may connect a "larger stationary tool", it would still be something movable (standing either on wheels or pads) and it would not be permanently wired; it would be connected by plug & receptacle to the 240V circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.